Connect with us

Replacing an electrical ballast

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Massy2k, Mar 21, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Massy2k

Massy2k

Mar 21, 2017
    Hi all

I recently purchased a new aquarium for myself however the light fitting on the lid doesn't seem to work. I purchased a new bulb thinking that might be the issue but after trying it, it still refuses to work.

I'm thinking its probably the electrical ballast attached to the fitting but after looking around for an identical one online I've come up short. I've found one on amazon but its a different shape and some of the specifications seem slightly different.

Was hoping someone might consider having a look for me as I know nothing about electronics, I've been winging it up till now.

I've attached a picture of the electrical ballast in the aquarium light fitting and a link to the amazon device that looks to be the closest thing on the site there.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SODIAL-Flu...r=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Electrical+ballast+eb-28

Any assistance would be appreciated

Thanks guys.

Attached Files:

2. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    If it's new, isn't there a manufacturer's warranty on it?
    I'd return it if you can.
    You're just guessing on replacing the ballast. It could be the on/off switch, or a bad wiring connection.
    When I had aquariums, the biggest lighting hood problem was moisture and crud from the water coating the
    electrical connections. Is the lighting hood new, or used?
    Do you know anybody with a hand-held multimeter that can use it or loan it to you to check for continuity
    to test the switch and wiring connections?
    Assuming the ballast is the problem would be about my last decision. Clean the contacts (electronics stores
    sell spray-can contact cleaner) on those connectors to the ballast and make sure they reconnect tightly when
    you plug them back in. I'd use a multimeter (ohms function) to make sure the on/off switch is ok.
    I'd look for a bad electrical connection first, before going with a ballast replacement.

3. Massy2k

Massy2k

Mar 21, 2017
    Thanks for the replay, I did consider the on/off switch but its protected by a plastic casing and I cant seem to remove it at all. I don't have access to a multimeter unfortunately but Ill have another look at the connections.

4. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    Get a meter. They cost less than a fish:)

The line and neutral are connected the wrong way round. There is no earth connected.
    Neither of these would stop the thing working but is an indication of the standard of assembly.

A plastic casing is quite good at holding water in.

5. Massy2k

Massy2k

Mar 21, 2017
    Just as an update I re-cut the plug socket as well as the other end of the wire so the connections were more cleaner and I tried connecting the power directly into the ballast completely avoiding the need to use the on/off switch with the new bulb in and still no light.

6. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    OK. I'd give-up. If you're SURE the bulb is ok and your connector contacts are clean. I'd assume it's your ballast.
    You can try to find an exact replacement, or go to a pet supply store and ask about (or Google) replacement kits for hood lights. You can knock yourself out trying to find an exact replacement for something that may not even be made anymore, or you can just scrap it, and replace it with a new hood light assembly.
    I got fed-up with a large one once, and just put one of those plastic scenery sheets behind the aquarium and back-lit it with a fluorescent lamp. (Until a found an inexpensive used replacement for the hood).
    People get the big idea of buying an aquarium, get tired cleaning it, and then sell the parts cheap on the web or at
    garage sales. (If I was in a hurry, I'd check eBay)
    Good luck.

7. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    ps. If you know who the hood manufacturer is, you might be able to buy a replacement from them.

8. Massy2k

Massy2k

Mar 21, 2017
    Thanks guys, appreciate it. I'm at a lost, the closest thing I could find to the ballast is from amazon in the original post I made. I decided to go ahead and purchase it since it was only £2.49 but I don't hold out much hope for it and its estimated time of arrival is over a month away.

In my frustration I just went ahead and purchased an aquarium led light. Ill try my luck with the amazon ballast when it arrives even though I probably wont use it now with the led light but If it works and i want to sell the aquarium off some day I can do with a working hood light,

9. tedstruk

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
    One thing about ballasts.... if you can find a ballast that has the exact specs but different wiring, its if usually safe to rewire it and use it in your light, but remember
    THE EXACT SPECS, if any of the specs are off, it won't work, or it will blow up or leak or just sit there and buzz.

10. Massy2k

Massy2k

Mar 21, 2017
    Thanks, yeah that's what I was worried about that's why I originally had hoped someone could look at the pic I provided with the link of the replacement and tell me if the specs are good.

Ask a Question