Connect with us

Replacing a fuse rated for 125 v with a 300v - overheating hazard?

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by Jermin, Apr 28, 2004.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Jermin

    Jermin Guest

    Hello,

    I replaced the 125v 1.5amp fuse in the plug end of a string of Xmas
    lights with an inline 300v 1.5 amp fuse (the smallest one I could
    find). I replaced the fuse because I cut off the plug end of the wire
    so I could wire the Xmas lights directly into a wall switch, rather
    than plugging into an outlet.

    Because the amperage of the fuses is the same, and amperage is what
    causes overheating of wires, I'm assuming the string of lights is
    equally protected from overheating with the 300v 1.5 amp fuse as with
    the 125v 1.5 amp fuse. Is this thinking correct? Or is it critical
    that I match the voltage of the original fuse?

    --Jermin
     
  2. Don Bruder

    Don Bruder Guest

    Nah. Match the amps, and either match or exceed the volts, and you're
    golden.
     
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day

-