Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Replacing a 6A Power Vable with a 10A Power Cable?

HHP2K

Mar 8, 2011
Hello everyone,

Second question for you guys: For an AC Power Adapter for a Netbook (HP Mini), I am trying to replace the first piece of the adapter - the part that plugs into the wall, and on the other end, plugs into the transformer.

I need to replace this cord because it is heavily damaged, and is about to fall apart any day now. I have a spare power cord that is similar in construction, and all that I would need to do is remove the two end heads (the piece that plugs into the transformer) and replace it on the new cord.

However, the existing (damaged) cord is rated at 6A, whereas the replacement cord is rated at 10A.

The power transformer for the netbook has an input amps rating of 100-240V, 2.4A.

Is it safe to replace the 6A damaged cord with a 10A replacement cord?

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Yes,

Are you sure that's not 0.24A that the power supply is rated at?

A cable rated at anything more than 1A would be fine. Having said that, power cables are typically made of standard size cable, so 6A, 10A, etc. is common even for very small current requirements because it's simply cheaper and easier to use something "off the shelf"

The current rating for a cable tells you the maximum current it can carry. In this case it will be carrying far less, and clearly that's totally safe.