Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Replacing 3.7 lithium ion battery supply with permanent 3.7v power source

suyog

Apr 22, 2016
I have a android tablet that has got a 3.7 volts Lithium ion battery inside, battery not working in full swing, back up is up to 5 minutes only.

My initial thought was to just replace it, but I figured this was pointless as it would just happen again.

Can I just use dc lithium polymer battery charger in attach with 5 volts AC Adapter to power it ?

Is there any problems with this plan?

Attachments

• P_2016086_1765.jpg
    P_2016086_1765.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 227

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Why not just run it off a power bank?

Bob

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
Why not just run it off a power bank?

Bob

Then you have to unplug - plug the power bank every time you want to charge it back up, this would exert a lot of wear on the micro USB port. That being said, the same case for the internal battery, but if you have run down the internal battery then the port may be significantly damaged already.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
If you are looking to attach an external power source, ignore the battery and get a 2A 5V supply and either leave it permanently attached to the MicroUSB port on the tablet, or wire it directly to the board on the tablet.
The built-in charging circuit as mentioned above is strong enough to support the phone while it's charging the battery. If the battery is crappy, it's no big deal.
The problem with using an external 3.7V supply is that the built-in battery protection/monitoring circuit may not behave as expected if your voltage is not almost exactly correct. Stick with a 5V source... easier to find, easier to work with, and depending on how far you want to go, can be non-invasive.

suyog

Apr 22, 2016
If you are looking to attach an external power source, ignore the battery and get a 2A 5V supply and either leave it permanently attached to the MicroUSB port on the tablet, or wire it directly to the board on the tablet.
The built-in charging circuit as mentioned above is strong enough to support the phone while it's charging the battery. If the battery is crappy, it's no big deal.
The problem with using an external 3.7V supply is that the built-in battery protection/monitoring circuit may not behave as expected if your voltage is not almost exactly correct. Stick with a 5V source... easier to find, easier to work with, and depending on how far you want to go, can be non-invasive.

I removed the battery which is completely dead. I google some stuff like 5 volts Mini UPS, found to be effective solution on it. Just simliar to this link : http://homediyelectronics.com/projects/raspberrypi/ups/ . Is this stuff is helpful.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I removed the battery which is completely dead. I google some stuff like 5 volts Mini UPS, found to be effective solution on it. Just simliar to this link : http://homediyelectronics.com/projects/raspberrypi/ups/ . Is this stuff is helpful.
Dependant on the Tablet...
Some devices will *not* turn on without a battery, even with a charger. Additionally, the battery provides power in times of sudden high power draw. Although a charger is meant to provide enough current to power a device *and* charge it at the same time, it's possible for a device to draw too much current momentarily causing a voltage drop from the 5V supply which may cause the device to shut-off or reboot.
I would suggest getting your hands on a 3.7V cell to put in the device, or put the original back. It's the primary power source and can provide the highest instantaneous power. The charging cable or 5V source is a secondary source of power and although it's robust and constant is not always suitable for running a device on it's own.

(Even reading about 5V sources for the RasPi... you will find that some power supplies that can run the Pi, but actually can't *boot* the pi due to the current required for the bootup process.)

suyog

Apr 22, 2016
Dependant on the Tablet...
Some devices will *not* turn on without a battery, even with a charger. Additionally, the battery provides power in times of sudden high power draw. Although a charger is meant to provide enough current to power a device *and* charge it at the same time, it's possible for a device to draw too much current momentarily causing a voltage drop from the 5V supply which may cause the device to shut-off or reboot.
I would suggest getting your hands on a 3.7V cell to put in the device, or put the original back. It's the primary power source and can provide the highest instantaneous power. The charging cable or 5V source is a secondary source of power and although it's robust and constant is not always suitable for running a device on it's own.

(Even reading about 5V sources for the RasPi... you will find that some power supplies that can run the Pi, but actually can't *boot* the pi due to the current required for the bootup process.)
We are using android tablet integration with fingerprint scanner, because of that battery run off rapidly, If we detached the internal battery and keep alive on UPS have advantage over internal battery. No future worry about internal battery can drain rapidly or it may be dead after short period. Thats why i would like to prefer 5 Volts Mini UPS with 11000mAh current capacity.
What do you say ?

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
We are using android tablet integration with fingerprint scanner, because of that battery run off rapidly, If we detached the internal battery and keep alive on UPS have advantage over internal battery. No future worry about internal battery can drain rapidly or it may be dead after short period. Thats why i would like to prefer 5 Volts Mini UPS with 11000mAh current capacity.
What do you say ?
I would say that you either missed the point of my last posts, or didn't read them.
Leave the 3.7V battery installed, and connect the 5V 'UPS' to the charging port. Leave it like that, it's easy and is almost guaranteed to work.