Maker Pro
Maker Pro

replacement for ceramic barrel type fuse

Zellarman

Nov 9, 2011
I blew a fuse in my multimeter, it was a SIBA brand what I thought was a part number really isn't (there seems to be multiple fuses out there with the same number on them but they have different amp ratings) I can't seem to find an exact replacement, ceramic that is.

As long as the specification of a fast acting 500MA fuse is met, does it really matter if the body is glass or ceramic?

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Ceramic fuses are more explosion proof and have a higher breaking capacity than glass fuses, but I find glass fuses are safe enough for most purposes.
Some glass fuses are sand filled and this quenches any plasma that could otherwise keep conducting after the wire blows (at high voltage).

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Not familiar with your meter. The biggest reason I've found for a specific type of fuse
in test gear, is when the meter is designed for specific industrial applications.
Like working in an explosive environment (mining or other places where there's the
possibility of explosive gases).
If this is a work meter for a potentially explosive environment, I'd be careful in getting
the correct replacement. Otherwise, Resqueline information is usable.