Connect with us

replace BTB15 for BTA16?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by cjdelphi, Sep 29, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. cjdelphi

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
    As far as i can tell... the btb has 4 quadrants while the bta has 3...

It's come from a 240vac washing machine, dead triac

What is a quadrant? I'll google it but question remains can my mate have his washing machine back tomorrow or will i need to buy the part in?

Thanks!

I'm on my phone and the desktop has the pdfs! Sorry maybe you'll know the difference from experience :)

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Without hands-on experience with these two types I'd say for the application in a washing machine they should be equivalent.
    Both are suitable for 3 quadrant or 4 quadrant operation.

As these triacs are non-isolated, be very carefull when mounting them. If there's a heat sink they need to be attached to, check any insulation present for defects. Do not use defect (e.g. punctured) insulation material. You may also need to apply a drop of thermal grease to improve spreading of the heat from the triac to the heatsink. Look closely at how the existing traic is mounted and replicate this method as good as possible.

You're working with potentially deadly voltages and currents. Be very careful and sek expert advice if you're unsure at any time.

3. cjdelphi

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok i'll keep that in mind; even tthough i've repaired inverters, tv's amplifiers, monitors, dimmers i've had many years of replacing components but thanks lol....

4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    I didn't mean to boss you ;)

But these posts may be read by others, too, who may not be versed in the trade.

Ask a Question