Connect with us

Replace 6 AA with 9v 1~2 amp DC adapter

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by ionman101, Sep 26, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. ionman101

ionman101

Sep 26, 2018
    Ok, i am a complete novice as most can tell by the title. I did a little research, but considering the smoke rising from my appliance, not enough.
    I replaced 6 AA batteries (in line) which i assume to be about 9v with 1 to 2 ah with the 9v 1~2a adapter.
    I know there is a difference between amp hour and amp but my faulty reasoning told me the appliance would only pull the amount of amperage required to run it.

What did i do wrong and how do i replace the next battery powered device with a dc adapter. I am going to do this again, I'd rather not ruin the next one.

2. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Reverse connection...??
    AC adaptor instead of DC...??
    Anybody's guess....you have it in front of you but it's impossible for us to see from here.

3. ionman101

ionman101

Sep 26, 2018
    I'm fairly certain it is the correct direction. AC\DC adapter says negative is on the outside of jack, i have that soldered to the negative AA terminal.

Attached Files:

4. ionman101

ionman101

Sep 26, 2018
    *directly flipped appliance to show solder to neg terminal

Attached Files:

5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    It is possible that the original device uses the middle of the batteries to generate a +/-4.5V supply.

Without that connection, bad things may have happened.

Can you show us what smoked?

6. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Yes, looks like an extra black wire in the "90" photo above.

7. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    No fault here. The reasoning is correct.

Good eyesight you have there ;)

The adapter my deliver 9 V only when loaded by a certain minimum current. With a small load or no load at all the output voltaeg may be well above 9 V which could lead to destruction of the atached device. Can you measure the output voltage of the adapter without any load attached?

8. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The adapter has a rated input voltage from 100-240V (or similar). As such I bet it's pretty dead on the voltage.

Ask a Question