Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Repairing Weller soldering iron

fraznan

Apr 2, 2012
Hey,

i'll explain the predicament first, then put some pitures OF the problems (theres two, that i can see)

i recently discovered a weller PU-3D temperature controlled soldering iron sitting in a box thats been in my fathers garage for awhile now. i dont really know much about electronics but instantly one problem was evident - the power cord had been severed at one point. so basically im unsure of which wires go where when re-attaching it to a plug so i can plug it back into the wall (australian plug, if that makes a difference). the second problem i found was when i opened it up (seeing the screws had been tampered with previously, i figured i may aswell take a look) the wires for the temperature control, and the green LED light have both been severed, and i am unsure where exactly to resolder them (yes i have another soldering iron, but i need this one to work for a separate purpose)

basically it appears to repairable, so i figured i'd ask someone who knows what they're talking about so i can save myself a bit of money, and learn some new stuff.

P1010777.JPG

Thats just the model.

P1010769.JPG

the temperature control and LED light, seen on the right are severed.

P1010771.JPG
P1010773.JPG

this is the temp control and LED light from inside the station.

P1010778.JPG

thats the severed power cord.

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
My suspicion is that this device had the temperature control fail at some stage and someone removed it and rewired it to be on all the time.

I also see some very dodgy wiring that is just waiting to short out...

If you're cool with a lack of temperature regulation, it will work. However a variable temperature iron with no temperature control is likely to run really hot.

fraznan

Apr 2, 2012
yea, im in the process of shrink wrapping the exposed wires hey. the reason i wanted it was FOR the temp regulation, but i may aswell just go and purchase a new one if you think its broken or faulty.

thanks