Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Repairing an Old Turntable?

Sarah Szabo

Dec 27, 2017
One of the wires (Which is a male coming from the circuitboard) needs to be replaced, but I'm uncertain exactly how to solder the new wire. I'm familiar with soldering general wires and have done so for various projects, but I've never done soldering on audio cables. I'm guessing just do the inner wire -> inner wire, and outer shielding (Ground -> ground for both wires, and finish up with heat shrink that was applied earlier. The thing is that these audio wires have a mesh instead of an ascending helix of aluminium.

Is there any different procedures for soldering audio cables such as the one below to the turntable male wire?

71oTbm9ZCDL._SL1500_.jpg

Richard King

Jan 29, 2018
Audio only has 2 wires...inner and outer "mesh" braided. Solder them back together like to like... I unwrap the braided from the circumference, unbraid a section, and then wrap it into a single wire "bunch" then flux and solder.....unless you absolutely need zero interference in which case you disregard what ive said and wait for another opinion.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Mme Sarah . . . .

I associate your stock photo with coaxial cable

If this Record players phono cartridge output is being connected to a male RCA plug, I suggest getting a patch cord such as being used to interconnect TV-VCR's -Cassette players -Video players, etc.
Reading its packaging . . . to confirm its use of shielded cabling.
A rare 5 out of 100 items on sellers shelves might be using unshielded wire, as in the case of using connectors to interconnect to speakers which would not require shielded wires.
EVEN if you do not involve RCA connectors . . . as low as a buck is a cheap price to pay for 2 terminated connectors plus the length of 1-2-3-6 - 12 ft of shielded wire , if you only want to use it for the proper type of shielded wire.

73's de Edd