Connect with us

Repairing a Premier Health Products PHP 2026 / 2027 Massage Chair

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by desertrider, Apr 18, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. maddog41

maddog41

Jan 11, 2019
    Did you figure out what to do with the black wire?

2. maddog41

maddog41

Jan 11, 2019
    Did the black wire go to the second yellow wire? How did you pair the 4 input wires with the black and white original ones?
    Thanks for any help!

3. maddog41

maddog41

Jan 11, 2019
    I got it done with the information on this thread!!! Thanks to all of you who contributed. I would have had a very large boat anchor without your help. I bought this chair for my wife as a Christmas present in 2005. She took one look at it and said "get it out of here!" It's been in storage since then and I just got it out to use it (divorce) and it didn't work. Now it does.I'm a happy man in many ways.

4. Patchski

Patchski

Dec 16, 2018
    I have one of these too It works great, but the top part of the controller (LCD Screen) does not work. All the functions do work, however.
    The LCD does not show any signs of wear / abuse.

Any ideas? It probably is going to be near impossible to get a controller. .

Joe

5. goswald

goswald

Feb 11, 2019
    Can you tell me where /i can get a control panel for a premier php2026 massage chair?

6. rockland

rockland

Feb 26, 2019
    my ON button, requires me to push harder and harder (and longer) before it will come on, so since it is modular, i am looking to just buy a new or used one and just plug it in to the bottom right floor outlet. easy peasy. ideas? i have a panasonic chair. with the arm massager and foot massage and a horizontal panel on a bendable rod off the right side, i am looking for the number now

7. Dante Zafra

Dante Zafra

Mar 10, 2019
    Hello desert rider,

Thank you very much for the information you provided which can help trouble shoot the problem on my 2026 chair. On my unit, the recliner would not go back up pressing the control on the remote. I can hear the relay clicking but the motor does not seem to run. Much that I would like to troubleshoot using the details you provided, is there a way I can bring the recliner back to its normal position manually so that I can access the bottom of the chair. Looking for a release button or latch to do this..Appreciate the reply and help.

8. Doug Griffith

Doug Griffith

Apr 24, 2019

9. Doug Griffith

Doug Griffith

Apr 24, 2019
    I am new to this forum process, so bear with me. I have a Premier Health Products PHP-2030 massage chair, and I am giving it to my nephew. I do not have a users manual, and though all functions work properly, the control pad is fairly complicated and not very intuitive. Does anyone out there know how I can find a users manual for this chair? Doug Griffith - 707-799-6575, or [email protected] - Many thanks in advance if anyone can help me.

10. Dme

Dme

Apr 30, 2019
  11. Massagechair

Massagechair

Jun 6, 2019

12. Lil Johny

Lil Johny

Sep 2, 2019
    Thanks. Your post got me to repair my chair in only the time it took to ship the transformer and install it.
    A couple hours labor because I fumbled around with the instructions instead of just doing it
    Thanks again.

13. kevin buickerood

kevin buickerood

Nov 13, 2017
    Awesome! Glad it helped!!!!

14. mfoster7

mfoster7

Sep 17, 2019
    Hey folks. As with some of you, my PHP 2026 chair appeared to give up the ghost with symptoms exactly as Desertrider described in the very first post here.

My chair is over 13 years old, and I had just paid a local upholsterer over $700 to repair all the vinyl parts that the mechanical wheels had beaten through over the years. (It was a lot of damage. So much so that there was no way to continue using the chair for any type of massage.)

Literally less than two weeks later, nothing on the chair continued to work except the seat vibration... (ugh!).

I stumbled across this post. (First many thanks to Desertrider for his initial post and to Kevin for following up several times with very helpful information - not the least of which was locating a Toroidal Transformer distributor in the U.S. without needing to have the replacement part built in China.)

Anyway, I bought the specific transformer Kevin provided a link to (about $72 after tax & shipping). I was admittedly a bit nervous purchasing it because even though all other specs on this part were in line with Desertrider's recommendations, there was one that didn't match. He emphasized the need for the transformer's outside diameter to 96.5mm or less ("must be..." he wrote).

The one Kevin recommends is 112mm. When I measured the chassis that holds my original Toroidal Transformer, it didn't look like it would fit. Kevin said his fit fine by moving it around a bit. I wasn't confident, but decided it was either try that or look for a rebuild out of China.

Well, good news is that it does fit. Somewhat tighter, but I was still able to get it in without really moving anything around and with the cover still relatively comfortably covering the chassis.

So for anyone else needing this transformer, despite its diameter, it does fit.

And, btw, my chair is working now.

The other thing I want to mention are a couple files Kevin kindly provided. The first (attached) is called "hook.pdf". As part of the "I'm not an electrician" club, I was of course concerned about connecting the wrong wires and frying something in the chassis. Or burning my home down.

The pics Keven provided in that file may need a bit of clarification simply because close-in pics and reflecting light from snapshots can look confusing.

The original Toroidal Transformer that comes with the PHP 2026/2027 has 6 wires:

1 white
    1 black
    2 yellow
    2 blue

The Toroidal Transformer that Kevin recommended has 8 wires:

1 purple
    1 blue
    1 gray
    1 brown
    1 red
    1 black
    1 orange
    1 yellow

Great... o_O

So to piece this all together (and before you start snipping the original transformer wires on your chair), if the pics aren't quite clear, below is how the wires match up. At least this is how I did it, and the chair works.

However, before you start snipping plastic ties in the chassis that bundle wires together (for the purpose of you being able to follow specific wires from start to end), in order to re-bundle all those SAME wires together when done, I used simple trash can ties as TEMPORARIES to loosely bundle those very same wires to let me know which wires to re-bundle together when done. Then once done, I used new, real plastic ties (a couple dollars at Walmart) to bundle the wires tight, the exact same way as they were originally, and got rid of the temporaries.

Perhaps the above wire bundling steps above aren't necessary. Certainly not for those with a little experience doing electrical work. But for me the non-electrician, I wanted to restore everything in the chassis to at least close to how it was before I got involved, except with - of course - a new transformer.

Ok, so the blue & purple wires from the new Toroidal Transformer go with the black that the original was attached to, as per p. 1 of the first attached file (again, provided by Kevin). So three wires total reconnect there.

The gray & brown wires go with the white, as per p. 1 of the same file. Again, three wires connect.

The red wire goes with the yellow as shown in the second attached pic. Follow that wire from its connection point back to the transformer.

The black wire goes with the other yellow as shown in the second attached pic. There are a few yellow wires inside the chassis, so you'll need to carefully follow those wires back to the original Toroidal Transformer so you actually cut the correct wire before reconnecting to the new Toroidal Transformer.

The orange wire connects to the blue wire closest to it. (I'm not sure it matters which blue wire it connects to since they both apparently carry the same voltage. But that's how I did it.)

The yellow wire connects to the other blue wire closest to it.

Then I tested the functionality of the chair before I reassembled everything else (that is, before I screwed the chassis back in place, put the chassis cover back on, put the arm rests back on, etc.)

Once I verified it all worked, I then did the rest of the re-assembly.

Hope some of that is helpful. (And again, many thanks to Desertrider and Kevin who provided the helpful information!)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  15. kevin buickerood

kevin buickerood

Nov 13, 2017
    Good deal MFoster7. So glad we all could help! It's amazing how many of us have the same chair and can continue to help.

16. MGV

MGV

Oct 16, 2019
    Can anyone help me find a broken metal part of a Premium massage chair or to contact the seller? Thank you

17. goswald

goswald

Feb 11, 2019
    Can you tell me where I can get a control panel for a Premier PHP 2026 massage chair?

18. JMPchair

JMPchair

Nov 24, 2019
    A big thanks to all who posted here. I to was able to repair my Premier Health Products PHP 2026 message chair with the information provided. The chair had been sitting in the corner for almost two years. When I found that Premier Health Products was out of business I began contemplating what to do with it. A quick GOOGLE search led me here (ain't the internet great!!!!).
    A few notes regarding my repair effort:
    1. I purchased the Mouser Electronics 553-VPT48-5200 transformer. The Chinese company noted above (by desertrider) did respond to my email request to have a custom transformer built. I decided to go with Mouser.
    2. I found that, in order to center the transformer retainer bolt, I had to move the electronic "device" located immediately adjacent to the transformer.
    3. I unscrewed the "device" from the chassis and, without disconnecting it, was able to drill two new mounting holes in the base such that when reinstall it fit snugly next to the transformer (very much like the original design).
    4. Having done this I was able to reinstall the cover with no problem (hopefully my PDF upload will attach).

Again, thanks to all who posted here. My PHP 2026 worked well for many years. It is still in excellent condition and I really hated the thought of tossing it out (or advertising it for parts). I'm hoping it will provide many more years of relaxation.

Jerome P

Attached Files:

Ask a Question