Connect with us

Repair ionization wires on Ionic Breeze Quadra S 1637 air cleaner

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Lynn731, Mar 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Scroll to continue with content
  1. Lynn731

Lynn731

Apr 12, 2012
    We are trying to find out what type of wire is used in this device. We repaired several with .008-.009 E guitar string wire, and the wire burned through in a month or so. We know this is not the correct wire. Does anyone know what the correct wire is for these? I doubt piano wire is correct either. We are going to repair one using tungsten wire and see how it lasts, before doing the others. The size .008-.009 is about right as the cleaning beads work on this size wire. Any knowledge on this would be appreciated.

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hi there
    welcome :)

some pics of what you are dealing with mite help us to help you :)

cheers
    Dave

3. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    hehe, I think it's amusing you think guitar wire is a 'type' of wire that should be tried.
    The important detail will be the composition of the wire, not the intended purpose.
    This will dictate the overall resistance of the wire, what it's temperature coefficient may be, and it's melting point.
    Who's to say that one guitar wire brand is not very different from another?
    Do you have any of the original wire left over somewhere? Any details would be helpful, specifically the gauge, length and resistance of the sample will be very good starting points.

4. Lynn731

Lynn731

Apr 12, 2012
    I do not think guitar wire is the correct type. We actually read that on the FixYa website, so we tried it. I am glad you are amused. The original wire, is no longer wire. It resembles more like a thick nylon thread. After ten years of use, the original wire broke, and since it no longer resembles wire, we can't determine what it was. As thousands of these units were made, and a lot have broken wires and can no longer be used, finding the correct wire to fix them would not only benefit me, but many others who like this type of air cleaner.

5. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Well, perhaps the guy on fixya either didn't test it long enough, or tried a different brand of wire...
    You said the original broke, that may be the case, but it must have broken somewhere... if you have a piece of it, that would still help identify what you need.

6. Colin Mitchell

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
    I would try nichrome wire from a heater or globe

7. Lmterickg

Lmterickg

May 14, 2015
    This the wire I removed from my Quadra Breeze unit. I have learned that other units using a wire ionizer are made of tungsten. So to confirm I just need .008 gauge of this wire type and I should be able to repair this broken wire. Very brittle by the way after trying to reuse old one.

Attached Files:

8. poor mystic

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
    http://www.sisweb.com/ms/wire-tungsten.htm
    I think you're on the right track. "Go ahead" is my 2 cents.

9. clblossjr

clblossjr

Jan 1, 2020
    We repaired several of these units with .008 tungsten wire and so far they have lasted over 4 years, so I would surmise that this is the correct wire.

Ask a Question