Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Repair delaminated flex circuit

Ed Sowell

Aug 1, 2016
The photo shows a flex circuit on the instrument cluster from a 70s era Jaguar XJ-S. This one is from a junk yard and I'm hoping to use in on my own XJ-S. As seen in the photo, there are a few places where delamination has occurred. The conduction paths seem to be OK.

So my question is what kind of glue to use to fix it. My concern is the wrong glue might attack the copper.

TIA

Ed20160801_080555.jpg

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
If you are certain the solder joints are not intermittent, you can use clear epoxy , with a toothpick applicator. It looks like panel push buttons. Can you test the functions on the connectors?

Ed Sowell

Aug 1, 2016
If you are certain the solder joints are not intermittent, you can use clear epoxy , with a toothpick applicator. It looks like panel push buttons. Can you test the functions on the connectors?
There don't seem to be any solder joints. Instead, the conductor paths encircle nut terminals of various things like ammeter, temperature gauge, and pressure contacts around lights.

I believe you are asking if there is good conductivity through paths that have delaminated. I just checked that and it's OK. You're just concerned that I don't epoxy it all together until I'm sure because I won't be able get it apart again, right?

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
right . epoxy is compatible but non-serviceable, it just looked like a solder joint near there that needs to be checked.

Ed Sowell

Aug 1, 2016
I see what you're looking at in the photo. That's corrosion. I sanded it off the path near my finger.

BTW, is there something I should do to arrest it, or just sand it off?

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
Water and air protection sealants also add capacitance which is bad for digital crosstalk, but , it probably won't hurt if you put a thin coating of same over that.

Ed Sowell

Aug 1, 2016
Nothing digital so added capacitance wouldn't hurt anything. Can you be more specific? Something I could get at a hardware store or an electronics store?

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
yes nothing special, 2 part clear epoxy same for delamination. Epoxy is the material used for plastic IC's although it's black. It is brittle so only use on flat parts.

there is also a silicone spray used for coating boards.