Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Removing components connected to large metal planes

Cirkit

Oct 28, 2015
I am trying to rework some PCBs which have pogo pins that are attached to large metal planes with varying amounts of success. I have a high temperature tip however, when melting the solder while pulling the pins from the other side of the board, some of the pads lift.

I have tried using flux, a desoldering pump and desoldering braid. The easiest method seems to be, to leave the existing solder and apply flux. Heating the solder seems to transfer a good amount of heat to remove the pin.

Is there a better technique to do this?

How can I ensure that the hole for the new pogo pin is clear of any solder?

Thanks!

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I'd do what you're doing, just reheat the exiting solder and pull the pin.
I don't know how often you'd use it, but they do make (relatively expensive) vacuum pump desoldering stations.
As for lifting the pads, I'd back the heat off some and be patient waiting for the solder to liquefy so you can remove the pin. That's my input, somebody else may come up with a better idea for your situation in a following post.

ArmRules

Feb 8, 2012
Assuming its lead-free solder you could try going over the joints with leaded solder to bring down the reflow temperature. If you have to stay ROHS then you could try a tin bismuth solder alloy, this will melt at about 140C as opposed to leaded solded which is about 180C and lead free which is about 220C
Theres slight differences in the melting points above depending on the alloying ratios of different manufacturers solders.