Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Removing circuit

compleo

Mar 17, 2016
Circuit boards are attached to white plastic & can be difficult to remove the board.Is there a tool that can be purchased to make this task easier?

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Circuit boards are attached to white plastic & can be difficult to remove the board.Is there a tool that can be purchased to make this task easier?
Olfa blade, Xacto Knife, Scissors, Pliers, Robust Wire-cutters or side-cutters, a Drill, Soldering iron...
There are soo many options, you need to share more details.
Pictures?

You can break, cut, unclip, or melt the plastic to get the board out.

compleo

Mar 17, 2016
Olfa blade, Xacto Knife, Scissors, Pliers, Robust Wire-cutters or side-cutters, a Drill, Soldering iron...
There are soo many options, you need to share more details.
Pictures?

You can break, cut, unclip, or melt the plastic to get the board out.

I don't want to damage the plastic posts,just remove the damaged board & replace it with a new board.I don't have any pics,i normally use needle nose but it is annoying & was wondering if a tool exists to make the task easier.Such as a hollow tool that push's down/over the posts which in turn squeezes the plastic.

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
If you mean those locking/snap-in buggers,they are a pain to open.
Since they come in many sizes it will be hard to have a single tool to handle all.

You can build your own(like you discrbied):
A metal hollow tube 6-7" long , with an inner diameter a-bit smaller than the drilled-hole in the PCB should do the trick.
Glue a handle to it for ease of use.
It would look like a screwdriver.

Snap-in.jpg

compleo

Mar 17, 2016
If you mean those locking/snap-in buggers,they are a pain to open.
Since they come in many sizes it will be hard to have a single tool to handle all.

I figured as much but thought i might luck out.

In the pic,the arrow locking, circuit & locking circuit look like what i have to contend with.

A metal hollow tube

I don't know who sells hollow metal tubes.

I was thinking of a small diameter socket, if need be a deep socket.

I just thought of an idea, the pen type with a cover, like bic, remove the writing/ink part & this is a hollow plastic tube. Just not sure if it is to big of a diameter. One side is small & the other side is big.

Last edited by a moderator:

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Hobby shops sell nesting, telescoping, brass and aluminum tubes. You might find one with right inside diameter to compress your plastic thingy enough to allow it to be removed from the circuit board. Or drill a shallow hole into the end of a plastic or steel rod, the hole being of appropriate size.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Maybe I'm missing something, but the arrow-locking type usually just needs you to use a pair of needle nose pliers to compress.
You squeeze the two sides of the lock with the needle nose, and pull-up the PCB at each post, one after the other.

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
Maybe I'm missing something, but the arrow-locking type usually just needs you to use a pair of needle nose pliers to compress.
You squeeze the two sides of the lock with the needle nose, and pull-up the PCB at each post, one after the other.

That is slow and cumbersome if you have to do a lot of the same.
A dedicated tool can be a great help :
quick, easy, safe (no glitches);)

Last edited by a moderator: