Connect with us

Removing Black Plastic/Rubber Fill From Motorcycle Part

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by upstater, Aug 21, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. upstater


    Aug 21, 2012
    Hi, I tried searching both here and on Google but didn't find much of what answered my innate curiosity as to what's behind this electronics device. It's an ignition converter for a motorcycle.

    I'm wondering how to remove the black plastic/rubber filler on the back to see what's really inside there and figure how to either fix, diagnose or reverse engineer the device. Short of chipping away at it with a knife, I'm wondering if there is a good way to get at the internals.



  2. KJ6EAD


    Aug 13, 2011
    It's called potting compound. Removal method depends on potting material. Google "potting compound remover" and "potting compound removal".

    If the material is very hard and brittle, it's probably epoxy but if it's a little soft and the surface seems slightly sticky and discolored from oxidation, it's probably urethane.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  3. debe


    Oct 15, 2011
    If its the soft type of material I use a small wood chisel & carefuly prise it out. Slow job so nothing gets damaged. I dont like using chemicals as it can ruin markings on components.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day