Connect with us

Removal of wire from PCB wire to board connector

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Smit81, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Smit81

Smit81

Oct 23, 2012
    Hello,

This is my first post on this forum, my interests are around musical instruments and their respective electronics, particularly Bass Guitars. I'd put my knowledge as limited but have 5 years experience working on the shop floor of electronics companies as an electronic assembler.

At the minute I'm looking to replace the preamp in my bass guitar (a Yamaha TRB). I have my new preamp, all the correct diagrams for the task and I know how to do the job - but upon opening the cavity of my bass, I've noticed the two pickup output wires are connected to the board with a 2 way PCB wire-to-board connector. Usually, they're just tinned wires soldered onto the lugs of a potentiometer. I'm unsure how to remove the wires from the PCB connector :confused: :( .

The two wires look like they are put in the connecter via crimp housing and there doesn't seem to be a way into the outer casing. Is there a way to release these wires? Or am I best off just cutting them free? The gripe i have about cutting them free is that it may leave me short on wire to reach the new preamp output terminals, can anyone help?

Thanks

Smit

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    A picture is worth a 1000 words...

3. Smit81

Smit81

Oct 23, 2012
    Yes, I initially thought I'd need pictures, Im in work, Its something i will do when i get home.

I can show you what they look like on the circuit board diagram, I have links to that, but not physical pictures of the connectors.

Thanks

4. Smit81

Smit81

Oct 23, 2012
    In the attached thumbnail of the wiring diagram , Ive highlighted in a red circle the connectors that are the issue. i know its only a drawing but they dont look much differnt in real life, theyre very plain. I'll get proper pictures up later.

Thanks

Attached Files:

5. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Possibly stab locks? A picture will help verify... If they are stab locks there is probably a point where you can push to release the wire...

6. Smit81

Smit81

Oct 23, 2012
    OK, here's some pictures of the PCB connector I'm dealing with, Its the red and white cables i want releasing from it (intact, if possible). I've took a snap from as many informative angles of it as possible. Hopefully i don't have to cut them, but if needs must....

Looking forward to a reply,

Smit

Attached Files:

7. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Some of those plugs have internal 'wings' that lock the wire inside and require a 'special' tube like tool to remove without damage... Sometimes you can use a pick and with a little work get the wire out, look for a tab on the plastic plug or the wire termination and try to release it...

Last resort wiggle, jiggle and pull it will almost always come out, but might not be pretty int he end... Or simply cut the wire with enough left hanging out to splice to...

8. PhilBass Jordan

PhilBass Jordan

Jan 24, 2018
    Halo guys.. i have the same series bass too..
    Any you guys know,what code colours from the pickup..wich one goes as hot wire?
    I have plan to replace my original pcb..with new board preamp.
    Thank u guys

9. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009

hi ya, this thread is 5 yrs old and the original poster never returned

Ask a Question