Maker Pro
Maker Pro

remotes

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Had replies at all to my requst for info about remotes. Have purchased and tried unsucesfully a couple of universal remotes to get my Yamaha YST 99CD working. Does anybody know how to overcome the problem? Can I for instance take the remote circuit out of an existing radio and swop it over?
Deigh:D

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Hi Deigh.
Ive had remote problems over the years, my kids are rough with them, spill stuff over them, i end up stripping them down and washing the casing and key pads, and use isopropyil alcohol on the main pcb.

I have used the universal remotes with out to much trouble, i think transferring an existing pcb remote control in to another chassis quit difficult if not close to imposable, it the way the keys and there functions are arranged, if it matching the IR censer and that alone and all functions are the same, then not imposable, but the frequency might be different, and a mismatch probably wont work.

The best quality universal remotes can be programed if an input code does not exist, some can be interfaced with a computer for the software programing.

The make ive used here in the uk is called ( One for all ).
Dave. :)

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
Thanks for reply, have tried out recently without success a remote called 15 in1 which claims to operate all brands. It did the TV without trouble and actually worked one of my radios, but the Yamaha YST is of sterner stuff and defies control. The instructions are not all that clear, it tells you how to set it up to find the sequence automatically. I did this and left it on 24 hours without any result. It does not tell you how long it will continue to send 'new' signals so for all I know the thing would start to repeat itself after an hour!
Following your hints I will not consider pinching a circuit out of another radio and sweating it in!!!
Have found a source of a genuine replacement remote, but am not happy with the price. The remote is $38 but they want another $40 for postage and that seems rediculous. I know I live in New Zealand and we are a bit remote, but we are not on another planet!

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
The remote receiver in the gear is just a Infra red detector chip, basically dumb.
all it does is receive the IR signal and convert it back into a a pulsing voltage to send to the microprocessor chip.
The data stream is generated by the remote and the microproc is expecting that particular data stream for each function.

so changing the receiver in the gear tuner/amp, what ever it is, wouldnt have made any difference

cheers
Dave

Deigh

Apr 26, 2011
The remote receiver in the gear is just a Infra red detector chip, basically dumb.

Thanks for useful information. I used the wrong term there, should have said 'circuit' rather than 'receiver'. Would still like to find a way of playing with the frequency of the circuit to get it to work with the remotes I have.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009

Thanks for useful information. I used the wrong term there, should have said 'circuit' rather than 'receiver'. Would still like to find a way of playing with the frequency of the circuit to get it to work with the remotes I have.

read all of what I said .... and for those reaons you cannot "play" with the freq or the data stream

Dave