Connect with us

Remote sensing devices

Discussion in 'Electronic Design' started by plc, Oct 23, 2003.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. plc

    plc Guest

    Hi all,

    I have a concept that I want to prove and would like some pointers in the
    right direction.

    I want to build a remote sensing application for monitoring water tank
    levels across farmland. The land is quite hilly in parts.

    I want to be able to monitor these from a PC based back in the farmhouse.

    My question is, would rf transceivers do the trick? and if so can someone
    recommend any.

    Also on the hilly country, could the rf signals be collated at a central
    point and what would be a good peice of equipment to do this with, possibly
    having the collator ring in the data it has collected.

    Thanks for taking the time to read this and TIA for any advice


  2. Here are some links that should give you a good idea of the jargon to
    google for: -1JC.pdf
  3. Must already be devices to do this - do some google searches.

    I played with it 20+ years ago, when CB radio was in the 27 MHz band.

    The hard part was fielding angry complaints when one tank was temporarily
    out of comms range just long enough to run empty without raising an alarm.
    Even when it was the same cows which knocked over the antenna who
    subsquently went thirsty...


    Adrian Jansen
    J & K MicroSystems
    Microcomputer solutions for industrial control
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day