Connect with us

Remote for a Go Kart

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by qtband, Nov 27, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. qtband

qtband

Nov 27, 2011
    I need help. I have very little electronic experience and that's why I'm here. Please tell me if this is possible and maybe, how to do it.:confused:

A go kart kill switch simply grounds the engine and stops it from running. I want to make a remote so that if my kids get into trouble, I can remotely kill the engine. There is no power supply on most karts, so the receiver on the kart will have to be powered by a battery. Is there an easy way to make something like this? It would connect to the engine ground wire and when it's activated, it would complete the circuit grounding the engine. Any ideas?
    THANKS!!!

2. daddles

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
    I would think it shouldn't be too hard to do. The key task will be to buy an RF transmitter and receiver that do the switching. Do a web search for e.g. "RF remote control fob" and you should find a number of things (here's one). Once you have that, the receiver needs to output a digital signal you can use to power a relay (or it will e.g. power a transistor that powers the relay). The relay's normally open contacts will be what shorts the spark system, killing the engine.

An experienced electrical person might want to design and build the whole thing from scratch; that's a much harder proposition. If you can buy a suitable RF transmitter/receiver, then the rest of the task should be within the skill set of most folks.

3. qtband

qtband

Nov 27, 2011
    Toy Car Remote?

I was thinking of using a remote and receiver from a toy car, but the range on those things are pretty small. Can something like that be used and can the range be increased?

4. OLIVE2222

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
    Dear qtband,

I agree with the idea of buying readily build stuff.
    Toy car remote is not the best you can use as despite the mentioned low range the used frequencies are very busy! An Ebay query with remote control relay will pop-up usefull results. A dc powered (via wall adapter) garage door opener remote control can also be a solution.

Olivier

Ask a Question