Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Remote Control to open boot of car

JamesKen

Jan 25, 2013
Hello all,

I am a Mechanical Engineering student and would like some help with the Electrical side of a project

I would like to design a method of using remote control to open a car boot (trunk). I would use a linear actuator (piston with electric motor attached: http://www.firgelliauto.com/product_info.php?cPath=92&products_id=65
I think it seems quite simple ;P:

1. 'Open' button on remote pressed once, not held down!
2. Boot lock mechanism detaches.
3. DC motor on actuator is started and turns in the positive direction to begin movement of piston.
4. Piston fully extends and automatically stops the motor some how, (is this what the limit switch is for as in the web page above?)
5. System turns off until the 'Close' button is pressed 'once'.
6. DC motor turns opposite direction retracting piston.
7. piston closes fully and causes lock mechanism to latch and hold boot/trunk shut.
8. System turns off, or awaits further instruction.

But I'm sure based on everything else that it wont be as simple. What electrical components would I need for this type of system?
Motherboard, intergrated circuits, receivers? Would there be a number of seperate components or one main circuit board with wires going to locking mechanism and DC motor?
And, any recommended reading would be appreciated.

Thank you,
James

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
to start out I would work out the whole system outside of the trunk, just pieced together get it to work with everything hard wired. that will be one of the hardest parts.

Any way that I can think of requires the use of either PLC's (way over complicated and expensive for this application) or a microcontroller, which will need power constantly from the car, though you may be able to make it so that it only turns on when you hit the trunk latch button, I will explain later.

You will have to make it in a logical step by step fashion as you have listed above, with delays and things like that, the hardest part is going to be building the whole setup and then incorporating it into the car.

You will need:

Microcontroller (PIC or Arduino will work if you want something easy to use yet functional)

5-10 relays rated for car use (some with 5V control, at least one with 12V control)

Actuator

Do you already have a fob with a trunk release button? If not does the car have an electronic trunk release (press button and it pops or do you have to pull something as you would with the hood)?