Connect with us

Remote control hose reel

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by ktoddford, Apr 9, 2013.

1. ktoddford

ktoddford

Apr 9, 2013
    I have a weed spraying business in Montana. I just ordered a cox reel with electric rewind, the problem is I didn't research them enough. I found a hannay reel that is remote controlled and reels in and out and adjusts the speed when you reel in and out. The price difference is substantial. Cox reel 600 dollars, the hannay reel is 2500.

I found a website that has remote controls for salt spreaders.

http://www.snowplowsplus.com/contents/en-us/d449.html

The question is will one of these possibly work to do the same thing as the hannay reel.
    I would at least like to be able to set up the cox reel to at least be able to remotely rewind.
    If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.
    Thanks

2. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    ok first of all welcome to our little corner of the net.
    second we don't really go into depth on commercial products, we do however love tinkering with things to make them better.
    now from I understand you want a hose reel to wind out and back via remote. the easiest way I can think of doing this is hacking a few items and making one. I would find a simple remote and receiver combo, hook up a cordless drill to it and have that do the work for you. time to make maybe a day or 2.

3. ktoddford

ktoddford

Apr 9, 2013
    Ok Thanks. So are you saying to buy a drill motor (to use as a test motor) and a remote and receiver or are you saying to use the drill motor to run the cox reel motor. Where is the best place to buy parts that I would need to make it work. I have to admit that I am a novice when it comes to electronics. Is there any threads on here that would show how to do this sort of thing? The motor on the cox reel is an Imperial Electric, model number P56AN230, Permanent magnet motor, 12 volt DC, 35 amps 1/3 hp, 650 rpm, power code A. Is it even possible for this motor to run in reverse. According to the instructions the motor is hooked to ground and a circuit breaker, then to a solenoid, then to a switch and the battery.

4. john monks

john monks

Mar 9, 2012
  5. ktoddford

ktoddford

Apr 9, 2013
    Thanks for the link on the motor. It looks like all of them are reversible so that is a good sign.

6. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    generally speaking a DC motor will operate depending on how you plug the wires in. if you plug it one way the motor goes clockwise, plug the wires in reverse and the motor goes in reverse. I have seen people use cordless drills for sliding gates, hose reels and a lot more.
    if you are trying to make something to run of a battery look at how much torque it has. too little and you will likely burn out your motor from the weight applied. also look at its speed. you don't want to wait 2 hours to roll 1metre of cable and you don't want it going so fast that it could damage anything. a simple PWM will help with this

If you are trying to get something running of mains, either hire somebody to build it or buy a commercial product cos mains is not something beginners should play with

7. ktoddford

ktoddford

Apr 9, 2013
    Thanks for all the input everybody. I called up a hannay reel dealer and had them order me the control box and remote. They told me it will work fine with the cox reel.

Ask a Question