Connect with us

Remote control help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Glockman, May 6, 2012.

1. Glockman

Glockman

May 6, 2012
    I need help with design specifics for a battery powered, remote controlled unit that is good at 90 feet minimum. Id like to use various color led lights, no more than two or three per unit. I thought of using a 9v battery to power unit. Any thoughts on the project. Id need specifics on parts and schematic if possible.

2. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    well... to start we need more information

How many different controls will you need? (4 buttons? 10 buttons? 100?)
    How much over the 90ft minimum will it need to reach?
    What are the units going to do with the LEDs? (just switch colors/switch modes/on off etc)

Depending on this we may be able to help you out.

if you just want the LEDs to come on and go off with only receiving commands then a 9V should be fine, BUT if you want the units to do a lot more then that, or if you want them to send back a confirmation to the remote that they received data, or if you want them to communicate with each other, that is going to need a much bigger supply.

You will need to work in the RF range, thats about all that I can tell you at this point

-Green

3. Glockman

Glockman

May 6, 2012
    information

I appreciate the input so far. The unit would be super simple, the range wouldnt exceed 150'. My idea was to use key-fab style remote to simply turn a single color led on or off. Each unit would only have a single color led bulb. So id make a red unit, a blue unit, a yellow unit. Each unit would have 2 or 3 leds of the same color.

4. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    Ok, so lets say you have 1/3 blue, 1/3 green and 1/3 red

Press one button and the red come on, press again they turn off, press another button the blue come on, press again, off, press a third button the green come on again and off

You should look into some RF transmitters and receivers, the transmitter would only have to transmit a pulse at a certain frequency that the receiver is tuned to, then using very simple logic circuitry you can make it so that the LED's turn on or off with that same pulse from the transmitter

alternatively you could set it up so that there is one button that cycles through the colors and off (eg press... red...press... blue... press... green... press... off)

again same idea, but you would need either a multiplex system or 3 transmitters

5. Glockman

Glockman

May 6, 2012
    I was thinking just a key fab remote with either two buttons (on)/(off), or one button pushed once for on and then same button once it would turn off the unit. As far as color, id like to make three separate units turn on or off with a touch of the remote. Lets say I place a red led unit 30 feet away, a blue unit 60 feet away, a green unit 90 feet away from me. I hit button on remote once and all three turn on, when I am finished I hit same button to shut all three off. I think were on the same page with thoughts. Thanks.

6. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    There are key fob remotes all over Ebay, and decoder chips as well... The only part you will need to work out is the logic if you need more than simple on/off... There are key fob remotes paired with pre-built relay boards all over Ebay for simple on/off applications...

For additional logic I personally would just use a micro but you can work it out with an analog circuit if you put your mind to it...

The only real limitation is the distance, I have no idea if the cheap Asian key fobs will perform reliable at 100' I have only used them for close proximity stuff...

Ask a Question