Connect with us

Remote car entry as remote trigger

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by JCinOhio, Dec 14, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. JCinOhio

JCinOhio

Dec 14, 2012
    Hello,

I want to build a remote bird launcher for hunting dog training so I need a transmitter and receiver with a remote trigger. I was wondering if anyone thinks I could use a remote keyless entry system as used for a car? Like the car door unlocker.. I'll be using a door lock solenoid as the mechanism to release the bird, so I thought what better to acutate the lock solenoid than a car door unlocker?

For this to work, I'd obviously have to have a more portable power source than a 12v car battery. So maybe 4 CR123A's would provide enough juice to power the receiver. I think I can work that out.

Mainly just wondering if I could use a system like the Avital 2101 as a remote trigger?

My other plan is to use my DX6i Transmitter and a dimension engineering battleswitch (and spektrum receiver) to power the door solenoid. However if I can get away with using one of the key fobs that would be better than carrying my DX6i around.

Other ideas?

Any help will be appreciated..

2. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    The problem with using a key fob is that you will need to pull almost the whole system out of the car, they are all encrypted in various ways, so to use it with a generic receiver you would need to gut it and rebuild.

This should be possible to do (use the key fob) but just know that it will entail a lot more work than you might think. It would also not be the most cost effective way of going about this if you were planning on buying a car key fob system with the receiver (fobs alone typically cost 75-100)

3. JCinOhio

JCinOhio

Dec 14, 2012
    You can actually buy a system (Avital 2101 for instance - $30.50 at one site) that is just the fob and receiver. I just don't know if it can be tricked into being a stand alone system? All it would have hooked to it would be an external battery and one door lock actuator.

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Look up wireless remote control on Ebay. There are many options for < $20. These have a key fob like tranmitter and a receiver board with 1 or more relays.

Bob

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
Ask a Question