Connect with us

Relay help

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by antighsiothail, May 5, 2021.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. antighsiothail

antighsiothail

May 5, 2021
    Hi
    I need to replace the relay in my MIG welder, the company don't seem to be around now, so can't get a replacement from them.
    I have added a photo of the relay cover, and also specs to the nearest I can find. Would really like advice as to if the one I've found will do the job, failing can anyone recommend a relay that will.The one I've found is listed on RS as Relpol R40N-3011-85-5220
    Many thanks

Attached Files:

2. antighsiothail

antighsiothail

May 5, 2021
    Apologies for the size of the photos.

3. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
  4. antighsiothail

antighsiothail

May 5, 2021
    Thank you, I had hoped the one I found would work over a range of voltages, ah well. I'll try to find a UK source for the one you suggested, many thanks.

5. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    A tip.
    It pays to remove the vent 'pip' in the middle of the relay, this is often sealed for flux cleaning of the board at manuf.
    The removal, prevents premature failure due to internal ionization of the relay causing arcing of the contacts.

narkeleptk and antighsiothail like this.
  6. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    On the other hand it provides a path for environmental agents (gases, humidity etc.) to enter the relay and corrode contacts.
    We use only sealed relays at work and they endure 10 years and longer.

Arcing of the contacts can be mitigated by e.g. a 2.2 nF or 4.7 nF X1/Y1 capacitor across the pins leading to the contacts.

7. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    Here is one Manuf. sheet on it.
    Also another manuf also says vent unless corrosive gasses are present in its environment.

Attached Files:

Ask a Question