Connect with us

Relay coil

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by danyon, Dec 13, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. danyon

danyon

Dec 13, 2013
    Help, I'm trying to create my own relay but I don't know what type of coil to use? Does it have to be copper, that's insulated or what???? Please help

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Firstly, why are you trying to make a relay when you can probably buy something that is far more efficient and reliable at a far lower price?

Next, yes, it needs to be insulated, and copper wire is probably the best, but you could use other metals. In terms of resistance, silver would be better, aluminium and iron worse, however since you need to have a reasonable coil resistance to limit DC current, a wire with zero resistance (made from unobtanium) would not be a good choice.

3. danyon

danyon

Dec 13, 2013
    Thanks for the help, I want to make my own as I have a lot of spare copper wire around and I like to just make things for myself.

4. danyon

danyon

Dec 13, 2013
    I have another question, when winding, should it just go from one end to the other or back and forth

5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    As long as the wire goes around the former in one direction it won't make much difference. A nice neat layered coil might fit more turns in a given space and look nicer. I doubt that you'll be using frequencies or voltages high enough for it to make any other difference.

6. danyon

danyon

Dec 13, 2013
    Cool, thanks heaps

Ask a Question