Connect with us

Relay and DC motor help and info needed

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by Karokis, Jan 21, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Karokis

Karokis

Jan 21, 2010
    I am needing help on what part I need to make a 3 to 6 volt DC motor run for 7 to 10 seconds and shut down for around 5 seconds then kick back on again and repeat.
    I got a local Radio Shack and would like to know what part number I need or even a link to a website with the part would be very much appreciated.

And what is a good medium torque and about 2000 RPM DC motor if any is available in the 3 to 6 vold range.

Also, Do they make an adapter to make the shaft longer on the motor?

Thank you . Kar

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Define medium torque. Or hint us on the power (or the current). I'd believe anything can be had (maybe not from the shack).

3. Karokis

Karokis

Jan 21, 2010
    I posted more details on another forum. I will repost it here. Sorry for lack of info.

I need help with a set up for a forward reverse motion DC 3 to 6 volt motor.
    I will be useing the motor to go back and fourth between 9 and 3 O clock.
    Like wipers on a car.

The motor needs to be quiet and be able to lift about 8 onces and have atleast a 1.5 inch shaft with a flat side. The speed between 3 and 9 should be 1 second.

Thank you for the reply back to my first post.

4. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    With a motor speed of 2000 RPM & an output speed of 30 RPM you'll need a gearbox with a ratio of around 67:1.
    The weight lifting ability says nothing w/o including the length of the lifting arm.
    The noise level can be kept down by using a 12 or 24V motor on the voltages you mention.

5. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Ok, so yours will be a little slower than that one, and have an arm length of about 30cm (12in, 1ft)? 8oz=227g btw. That gives a needed torque of at least 6lb-in (= 678Ncm).
    Running a motor on 1/4 of its rated voltage also means you only get 1/4 of its rated torque, so choose for example a 24V 8000RPM (or a 12V 4000RPM) 10W motor with a 67:1 gearbox & an output torque of at least 24lb-in (= 2.7Nm).
    You know you'll have to mount end-stop switches to reverse the rotation at the required points?

6. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Perhaps a typo, but isn't the relationship based on a squared law? I thought that operating at 1/4 the voltage would result in 1/16 torque.

7. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    No, not the torque (as it's directly related to current draw), but I figure the power output would be down to 1/16 (as the speed would also be 1/4, related to the voltage).

8. Karokis

Karokis

Jan 21, 2010
    Thank you all for input.
    I am now in need of a start (run for 8 seconds) then stop for 5 then start again and repeat small compact relay (or?) The highest voltage it would see is the use of 4 AA batteries.(6 volt low amps) SOmeone got a part that I could pick up from radio shack or online? Thanks again for all the help.

9. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    A fairly simple design would be using a 555 and an appropriate transistor to drive the motor.

Google for "555 lamp flashers" and you should find something that can be made to flash a lamp at that rate. Replace the lamp with the motor (or a relay) -- remembering to place a reverse biased diode across the motor (or relay) and you should be set to go.

You need a circuit where you can alter the mark/space ratio, but that should not be too hard to find.

Whilst checking that advice <grin> I found the following:

http://www.schematica.com/Schematica/files/555_Timer_PRO_Setup.exe

it's not free, but here is a design for a 555 circuit that has the right timings:

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/7198/555wo.gif

The resistors are impossibly large (which in itself means I'm probably not going to buy this software), but if you reduce them by a factor of 1000 and increase the capacitor by a factor of 1000, you'll have a workable circuit.

43 M ohm becomes 43 k ohm
    72 M ohm becomes 72 k ohm (closest E24 value is 75k)
    100 nF becomes 100 uF

The frequency is 0.077 Hz (which is the reciprocal of the period -- 13 seconds) and the duty cycle is 61.5% which is 8/13). Note that changing the resistor from 72 to 75k will change these values a little.

The output could directly drive a relay (connect between the output and ground) or maybe your motor as long as the current required is low (check the 555 specs)

Ask a Question