Connect with us

Regulated Power Supply

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by Sloan5556, Mar 19, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Sloan5556

Sloan5556

Mar 8, 2015
    Hello,
    I just bought a used CSi/Speco regulated power supply, 13.8 DC v. @4 amps, and I want to make it into and adjustable voltage power supply. I was thinking of hooking a potentiometer to it to adjust it. I was looking on the internet about this but all I have found so far are "build your own" versions on a breadboard or pcs.
    Are there any diy projects for this? Or what do I need?

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hi there
    without knowing the circuit inside , that is difficult ( if you want it as an internal part of the PSU)

2 easier ways to go for this
    1) easiest ... build up a variable unit on the outside of the existing PSU so you have

existing PSU ---> small box with adjustable circuitry in it ---> on to what ever projects you want to use it with

2) IF there is room inside the existing PSU box, you could mount that circuit in there and the voltage adj knob through the front wall of the case

for the adjustable regulator, this one would be a reasonable choice ..... LM338K
    http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheet/SGSThomsonMicroelectronics/mXuuvz.pdf

circuit ideas down the page

or you could go the DC-DC converter style like .....
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-4V-38...y-Buck-Module-24V-12V-9V-5V-New-/380807562147

the blue trimpot on there could be replaced by a larger pot mounted through the case

cheers
    Dave

3. Kiwi

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
  4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    That would work if he wants to go up in voltage

Im picking he wants to take the 13.8V and be able to adjust it from between near 0V and 13.8V ;)

and that will work with either of the 2 suggestions in my previous post

@Sloan5556 please let us all know your intentions so we are no longer guessing

cheers
    Dave

5. Sloan5556

Sloan5556

Mar 8, 2015
    Here are some images of the inside and out. I want to have it so I can say change the speed of a motor or some thing similar.

100_0067.jpg 100_0073.jpg 100_0076.jpg

6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    OK cool pix :)

changing the speed of a motor is a little more complicated that just changing the voltage
    specially if you wish the motor to have the same turning power ( torque)
    for this a PWM ( Pulse Width Modulation) driver and an H-Bridge circuit are required

google those terms and see the ideas, come back with any questions and give links to the pages you were looking at that you didn't understand what was happening :)

Dave

7. Sloan5556

Sloan5556

Mar 8, 2015
    Thanks Dave.

Funny, I was just watching this video a few days ago about PWM, .

8. Colin Mitchell

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
    You will only get 0v to about 12.5v

Ask a Question