Connect with us

Refrigerator/Freezer: Estimating Power Requirements?

Discussion in 'Home Power and Microgeneration' started by (PeteCresswell), Jul 26, 2006.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Older freezer/refrigerator.

Neither seems to have anything printed on the back that tells how many watts are
    needed.

I'm shopping for a generator - but the smallest one that will run both the
    fridge and the freezer concurrently, but nothing else.

Our power outages come only a few times per year and only last a few days max.
    During that time, all I really want to do electric-wise is keep from losing the
    contents of the fridge/freezer and be able to continue working through my PC
    (which, I'm guessing, draws less than 1kw even with the monitor and other
    peripherals.

Can anybody suggest a means of determining how much the fridge/freezer draw?

Alternatively, is there some ballpark maximum for devices like this. I'm hoping
    2kw steady would do it and thinking in terms of a Honda eu2000 because of it's
    quietness and ease of deployment.

2. Vaughn Simon

Vaughn Simon Guest

You are smart to look for the smallest generator that will do the job, you will
    save a lot of gas, and gas can be very hard to come by during a long power
    failure.

The only way to know for sure is to try it, but my guess is that the EU2000 will
    do the job just fine. My Eu2000 will easily run my big old side-by-side and a
    lot more. In recent tests, I tried that same 'fridge on a little Yamaha EF1000i
    and that worked also! It even worked in the eco mode. You will want to start
    the units one after the other, so the EU only sees one starting surge at a time.

In short; my guess is that it will work, but worst case you can alternate
    powering the boxes and they will still each get enough power to save your food.

Vaughn

3. m Ransley

m Ransley Guest

Get an amp meter to check what it pulls, but remember surge load is 3-6x
    run load dont figure it in and your gen may do nothing, or burn out
    quicker.

4. Per Ulysses:
    That's something that I hadn't considered: the possibility of supplementing the
    generator's capacity with one or more 12-volt batteries. Sounds like that
    would be my fallback position if I needed to keep the thing maxed out on the
    fridge/freezer combo for some hours - yet wanted to be able to do some work as
    well. Plug the PC stuff into an inverter into a fully-charged lead-acid car or
    golf cart battery... and charge up the batt later when I don't need to push the
    other load.

In light of comments from others and various reviews, I'm shopping right now for
    a decent price on the EU2000.

5. Per Ulysses:
    Just to make sure I understand:

EU2000 ===> 12 v Battery ===> Inverter ===> (whatever appliances...)

6. My eu1000 runs my fridge, freezer, furnace at low blower speed and any of my cf
    lights that I need with a little left over for small stuff. It can do this in econo
    mode. It however does not like to try and start all of them at once so I throw the
    breakers one by one. It can start the furnace no problem even with the fridge and
    freezer allready running. I do have the new energy wise apt size fridge and freezer
    less than two years old. Last year during a five day outage I ran these items off my
    inverter in my work van........ouch I was burning a hundred buks a day idleing.

Ask a Question