Connect with us

reducing amps

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by joshwhite, Jun 23, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. joshwhite

joshwhite

Jun 18, 2010
    hey to all those to answered my other post thanks for all the information, i have a new question, how do you reduce amps but maintain the voltage? is there a resistor or other compontent i could use, i have a 12 volt 18 amp battery but i need 12 volt 5 amp max

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    If the device only requires 5 amps from a 12 volt source then it will only draw 5A even if the source is capable of supplying much more.

In short, nothing needs to be done.

If you really want to make sure that no more than 5A is drawn, use a fuse.

3. darkman1969

darkman1969

Jun 23, 2010
    Josh, can you provide us with some info on this project. if you describe your project we may be able to offer more help.

Regards

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Steve gave all the help that was needed :)

if the unit needs 5 Amps then thats all it will draw under normal operating conditions.
    He also mentions a fuse. thats for when there is a fault condition

joshwhite's question is a common one on forums like this. It seems to be something that is not well understood by beginners and some intermediate people in electronics.

cheers
    Dave

Ask a Question