Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Reducing amps in a circuit without change in the voltage

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
This appears to be a Maxine (made in India) AC-to-DC Power Adapter sold by Shah Electronics. Very little information is available on either the Maxine website or the Shah Electronics website although the latter page does provide an enticing description:

STANDARD AC-DC Adaptor (Regulated)
Plug-in type AC-DC Adaptor with LED Indication.
4 in 1 DC wire with Polarity Changeable
Input :230V AC. Output Single DC Volts
Current Rating Maximum 1 Amp

Capacity

DC 3V SONY Pin
DC 4.5 V SONY Pin
DC 6 V SONY Pin
DC 9 V SONY Pin
DC 10 V SONY Pin
DC 12V

In particular, the 4 in 1 DC wire with Polarity Changeable requires further investigation. It is possible that the DC output is actually "floating" and various barrel adapters can be connected to the DC wires, perhaps some with the barrel negative and center positive, and others with the barrel positive and center negative as shown in the photograph the OP uploaded here. Here in the United States Radio Shack once sold a "universal" lap-top power supply that had various barrel connectors that could be interchanged to fit whatever lap-top computer you happened to have. Perhaps this product from India does the same thing, although Polarity Changeable has me asking... how?

In any case, I doubt whether either the barrel or the center of the connector is internally wired to a power-line (third-wire) earth ground. And certainly neither of those DC connections should be connected to the two mains power-plug connections, but should be galvanically isolated from same by a transformer. Easy enough to check that with a DMM.

As for the "normal" polarity of a wall-wart... there isn't any. I have seen them with the center positive and barrel negative as well as center negative and barrel positive. In fact, I happen to have wall-warts in my "junque box" with center negative and barrel positive. I have to be careful not to connect these to breadboard logic circuits that invariable want a positive supply with respect to circuit common, which I always connect to the barrel terminal. Just as there is no "standard" polarity, there is no standard size for the barrel connector either. So, good luck connecting your puppy in any way that makes sense for powering a micro-controller. LED light strings don't much care where "ground" is, or whether there even is an "earth ground" but logic circuits can be a little more particular.

Notice on the picture it says: CAUTION: CHECK THE POLARITY
Check to see what is and is not connected to "earth ground" too.

Last edited:

Karthik rajagopal

May 9, 2016
Bu
This appears to be a Maxine (made in India) AC-to-DC Power Adapter sold by Shah Electronics. Very little information is available on either the Maxine website or the Shah Electronics website although the latter page does provide an enticing description:

Capacity

DC 3V SONY Pin
DC 4.5 V SONY Pin
DC 6 V SONY Pin
DC 9 V SONY Pin
DC 10 V SONY Pin
DC 12V

In particular, the 4 in 1 DC wire with Polarity Changeable requires further investigation. It is possible that the DC output is actually "floating" and various barrel adapters can be connected to the DC wires, perhaps some with the barrel negative and center positive, and others with the barrel positive and center negative as shown in the photograph the OP uploaded here. Here in the United States Radio Shack once sold a "universal" lap-top power supply that had various barrel connectors that could be interchanged to fit whatever lap-top computer you happened to have. Perhaps this product from India does the same thing, although Polarity Changeable has me asking... how?

In any case, I doubt whether either the barrel or the center of the connector is internally wired to a power-line (third-wire) earth ground. And certainly neither of those DC connections should be connected to the two mains power-plug connections, but should be galvanically isolated from same by a transformer. Easy enough to check that with a DMM.

As for the "normal" polarity of a wall-wart... there isn't any. I have seen them with the center positive and barrel negative as well as center negative and barrel positive. In fact, I happen to have wall-warts in my "junque box" with center negative and barrel positive. I have to be careful not to connect these to breadboard logic circuits that invariable want a positive supply with respect to circuit common, which I always connect to the barrel terminal. Just as there is no "standard" polarity, there is no standard size for the barrel connector either. So, good luck connecting your puppy in any way that makes sense for powering a micro-controller. LED light strings don't much care where "ground" is, or whether there even is an "earth ground" but logic circuits can be a little more particular.

Check to see what is and is not connected to "earth ground" too.[/QUOTE

Capacity

DC 3V SONY Pin
DC 4.5 V SONY Pin
DC 6 V SONY Pin
DC 9 V SONY Pin
DC 10 V SONY Pin
DC 12V

Capacity

DC 3V SONY Pin
DC 4.5 V SONY Pin
DC 6 V SONY Pin
DC 9 V SONY Pin
DC 10 V SONY Pin
DC 12V

Thanks for the reply. But in my adaptor polarity can't be changed.

Thanks for the reply. But polarity can't be change din my adaptor.