Connect with us

Reduce resistance from thermometer reading in my oven???

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by gijoe985, Dec 10, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. gijoe985

gijoe985

Dec 10, 2011
    Hello all,

I just got a new oven. It is the cheapest thing money can buy. Anyway, I am an avid pizza baker and pizzas should be cooked around 600-650 degrees. My new oven only goes to 500 degrees and this is going to be a problem for me.

What I do know about most ovens is that they can handle much hotter temps than the over settings let you go to. On my old oven I had gotten it up to 900 degrees for baking before. (Trust me, it is a legit temp to back CERTAIN things at.) I am hoping to find a way to trick my oven into thinking that the oven temp is lower than it is. I figure that I could simply disable the thermostat, so that the elements were on the whole time, but being able to hit 650 and hold it would be a real dream.

Most of my electronics background is from automotive and college. After looking over my ovens wiring diagrams and manual, this looks doable, I just need to figure out how. My manual does have a Resistance Temperature Detector scale. From what I gather, this is for the thermometer that senses the oven temp. It has a list of temp and correlating resistances. @ 450 degrees the resistance is 1852 Ohms +/- 13.5, @ 650 (where I'd like to hit) resistance is 2237 Ohms +/- 18.5.

Any ideas of how to get it so if I set my oven to 450, it would actually take the temps to 650? Find a way to somehow subtract 400 ohms from what the oven control unit sees? I have wiring diagrams that i could scan if needed...

2. gijoe985

gijoe985

Dec 10, 2011
    Wire a resistor in parallel?

3. OLIVE2222

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
    Hi gijoe985,

Exactly! a 10K resistor in parallel give you 1828 ohms when sensor value is 2237 ohms.

Olivier

Ask a Question