Connect with us

Red Plastic Cover/Lens.......Needed

Discussion in 'Electronic Design' started by Elephant, Feb 8, 2004.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Elephant

    Elephant Guest

    I just about have my clock finished but need a/the
    red plastic to go in front of the display.

    Have done a google search and come up with nothing,
    or, maybe I'm not calling it the right thing.

    Does anyone know of a company I can purchase one
    from? It has to be a fairly large piece of plastic
    as I'm using huge LED displays.

    Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Jamie

    Jamie Guest

    use google and look for "Color Plexiglass"
    or Light Filter glass
  3. JeffM

    JeffM Guest

    need the red plastic to go in front of the display
    Yup. Any good hardware store has Plexiglass (acrylic sheeting).
    A really good one has it in different colors, textures, & thicknesses.

    The finished item is often called a bezel.
  4. Al Yeager

    Al Yeager Guest

    Many years ago we built up a clock using discrete leds in a 2-inch tall
    display. We used a piece of rubylith (the stuff for making silk screen
    tee-shirts) as a filter. You may find this at an art supply store.


  5. Tim Shoppa

    Tim Shoppa Guest

    For really small pieces (a few square inches), electronics distributors
    like Digikey have red- and grey-tinted bezels for LED and LCD displays.
    Not cheap in terms of cost per square foot, but if the size is what you
    need then you're all set.

    For really large pieces (talking about 4ft x 8ft sheets here),
    plastic distributors sell large sheets of plexiglass (generic name:
    acrylic) in transparent tints. The most popular for red LED's is Rohm&Hass
    color 2423.

    If you don't need full sheets, sign shops and plastic fabricators will
    often sell you less than full sheets in the form of cut-offs, but if they
    don't have the color you need in stock you'll probably be out of luck.
    2423 red is probably the most popular transparent color (as opposed to
    transparent gray or bronze).

  6. I read in that Tim Shoppa <[email protected]
    The lighting (wo)man at your local theatre has sheets of 'gel' in more
    colours than you knew existed.
  7. Red tinted Plexiglas® (that's the Rohm and Haas trademark for acrylic
    sheet) works very nicely and has a relatively hard scratch-resistant
    surface so it can be easily cleaned. You can get it at plastic
    wholesalers- if you're lucky you might be able to find an offcut
    smaller than a sheet. It's easily cut with a (preferably) carbide
    router bit or saw (but somewhat brittle, get info on proper feeds and

    Best regards,
    Spehro Pefhany
  8. I read in that Spehro Pefhany <[email protected]?>
    And how! Machining acrylate must be done with great care and a fire
    extinguisher handy. It's not easy to set it on fire and the smell
    (acrolein, toxic) gets pretty dreadful if you are pushing your luck, but
    if it does go up you have a major fire in 0 seconds flat.

    Working with hand tools is OK.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day