Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Red and green LEDs

drcarnine

Mar 11, 2012
Hello again.
I am wiring up 10 red (2.0 voltage drop)LEDs and 10 green(3.0 voltage drop) LEDs on the same circuit. The battery voltage is 3.6. Everything is in parallel. Do I use the calculator that says 3.6 volts, 3 voltage drop, 20 ma, 10 LEDs and find 30 ohm resistors on each LED (http://ledcalc.com/). and then do the same for the red leds that says 82 ohms. So do I put 10 30 hnm and 10 82 ohm resistors with their respective diodes? Or do i have do compensate that there are really 20 LEDs in parallel of of the 3,.6 volt battery.Ii can find many calculators but none use different voltage drops. Cam you help me?
Thanks. Dennis

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
When everything is in parallel you can treat each LED as though it is the only thing connected to the power supply. So do the calculation for the current limiting resistor individually for each diode, then connect each resistor/LED combination in parallel. Of course, if the heavy current drain of a parallel configuration will cause a drop in the battery voltage then it might be wise to account for the load voltage of the battery when calculating the resistor values.