Connect with us
Project Logs

recreating the wheel... or a 3d printer

1. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    donkey submitted a new Showcase Item:

recreating the wheel... or a 3d printer

Read more about this showcase item here...

2. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    ok so problem 1 is freecad keeps crashing..... but I am getting there

3. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    so yeah its going ok for now

chopnhack and Supercap2F like this.
  4. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    ok so the cad is looking better and better. the issue has been trying to find a coder to take on the project. so in September I take 2 weeks off and start putting pieces together to try and get it remote controlled. Several people are of the believe that when its moving we will be able to get a coder quicker.
    now I have to sit down and figure out a parts list including the awesome slipring connectors that @davenn linked me too.
    have to find motors that will carry the load, finalise connectors (I am still going with 24v, 12v 5v, gnd, data1, data 2 and if possible 1 more) then there is housing and controllers.
    lastly there is a self home function I am working on that will enable the arm to be able to tell itself how far everything is. I have been debating about printing some posts that it can manipulate and then you measure the distance, until I can find a way for it to self measure that distance off course. I really do feel sorry for the coder.

5. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    I'm enjoying watching the progress with the project

6. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    another thing I was working on was USB connectivity at the end. this now limits me to 5metres of chord.
    I will also be looking at mini SD cards to store data in each micro and as a way of sustaining data integrity.
    I have a few people on board from Cadders, to electronics minded. a few metal workers. and I may have peaked the interest of 2 coders. all I have to do now is get a shonkey prototype going and improve on it

7. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    @davenn when its going if you are in briz I would love to have you over and show you what the end game is. This might even go on kickstarter if we get it right.

8. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    sounds like a plan :)

9. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    ok so I stopped putting up the plans due to secrecy.
    am looking at USB connectors now. also looking for a slipring connector to take a few extra amps to be sure it holds it all

10. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
  11. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    ok so the 2 weeks I have off to start this project has commenced. I have already stuffed up sizing majorly. also I have found I need a better workshop. more tools... but it progresses. secondhand parts and a lot of glue has the prototype together so far.

Ask a Question