Maker Pro
Maker Pro

recommend a soldering station

andrewjs18

Dec 18, 2013
Hi all,

first, I hope this is posted in the correct area as it seemed to be the best place to put it.

I'm new to the world of electronics and I'm hoping you folks can recommend a decent soldering station to be used for DIY projects and circuit boards. I work in IT so the occasional motherboard repair might be in order. I also need to replace a few burned out LED bulbs in my Buick's various gauge clusters.

anyhow, what do you folks recommend around the $75 range?

Thanks,

Andrew

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
just above your $75 number there, but this one is one of the most reliable, tried and true solder stations I know of.

My father has 2 (one for use upstairs, one for use in his basement workshop) the last company I worked for had 3 of them (they moved around a lot and got dropped from time to time).

I would say well worth the $88 since its going to last you forever, just make sure that you get some tips for it.

andrewjs18

Dec 18, 2013
just above your $75 number there, but this one is one of the most reliable, tried and true solder stations I know of.

My father has 2 (one for use upstairs, one for use in his basement workshop) the last company I worked for had 3 of them (they moved around a lot and got dropped from time to time).

I would say well worth the $88 since its going to last you forever, just make sure that you get some tips for it.

thanks for the recommendation.

the only station I've been looking at is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX888D-23BY-Digital-Soldering-FX-888D/dp/B00ANZRT4M

I like that one a little bit more because of the digital readout.

andrewjs18

Dec 18, 2013
hi all,

sorry to bump my very old thread.

I bought the hakko fx888d soldering iron a while back. this will be the first time I'm going to use it, but I had a few questions first.

1- which type of solder should I pick up?
2- I believe a new soldering iron needs its tip tinned? if so, are there any instructional videos that you prefer on doing this properly?

thanks!