Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Receiverless sound system... how?

loudandgreen

Dec 22, 2015
Mornin y'all! I've been thinking of setting up a audio system, but I don't know if I want to set it up as a surround sound or not being it will probably be part of a workshop. I'm trying not to throw a lot of money on digital equipment that will probably be obsolete in 5-10 years.

So how could I skip a fancy expensive reciever that controls everything and just have an amp set-up with bluetooth that could be controlled by my phone or a "smart tv"?

I've dabbled in bluetooth a little to know 2 things... 1 it easily makes me look stupid and 2 there are different versions and I'm assuming newer versions or "updates" ever so often.

I think it would be easier/cheaper to swap out or update bluetooth equipment when the time comes than it would be to upgrade to a different receiver. Maybe it's my meds kicking in but I think I'm on to something here but I'm not smart enough to figure out the components I need.

I was thinking of building a little stereo ammo box project to get the feeling for what I'm doing when I move up to the bigger workshop project but we'll see.

Thanks In Advance!

crutschow

May 7, 2021
A surround-sound setup is mainly for movies and is not really needed for music, since most music is recorded in stereo.
So a two-channel stereo system should be adequate for your workshop (you can use more than two speakers to give music around the shop if it is large).
Thus a Bluetooth receiver along with a 2-channel basic amp, rated for at least 50W/channel and 4/8 ohm outputs (or an amp with built-in Bluetooth) along with some wall-speakers, should meet your needs .
You could add a self-powered subwoofer if you want more low bass than the typical small wall-speakers provide.

Even if Bluetooth is upgraded, it should be downward compatible, so your system won't become obsolete.