Connect with us

Receiverless sound system... how?

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by loudandgreen, Oct 7, 2021.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. loudandgreen

loudandgreen

Dec 22, 2015
    Mornin y'all! I've been thinking of setting up a audio system, but I don't know if I want to set it up as a surround sound or not being it will probably be part of a workshop. I'm trying not to throw a lot of money on digital equipment that will probably be obsolete in 5-10 years.

So how could I skip a fancy expensive reciever that controls everything and just have an amp set-up with bluetooth that could be controlled by my phone or a "smart tv"?

I've dabbled in bluetooth a little to know 2 things... 1 it easily makes me look stupid and 2 there are different versions and I'm assuming newer versions or "updates" ever so often.

I think it would be easier/cheaper to swap out or update bluetooth equipment when the time comes than it would be to upgrade to a different receiver. Maybe it's my meds kicking in but I think I'm on to something here but I'm not smart enough to figure out the components I need.

I was thinking of building a little stereo ammo box project to get the feeling for what I'm doing when I move up to the bigger workshop project but we'll see.

Thanks In Advance!

2. crutschow

crutschow

May 7, 2021
    A surround-sound setup is mainly for movies and is not really needed for music, since most music is recorded in stereo.
    So a two-channel stereo system should be adequate for your workshop (you can use more than two speakers to give music around the shop if it is large).
    Thus a Bluetooth receiver along with a 2-channel basic amp, rated for at least 50W/channel and 4/8 ohm outputs (or an amp with built-in Bluetooth) along with some wall-speakers, should meet your needs .
    You could add a self-powered subwoofer if you want more low bass than the typical small wall-speakers provide.

Even if Bluetooth is upgraded, it should be downward compatible, so your system won't become obsolete.

Ask a Question