Connect with us

Real Solder

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by pepi, Sep 22, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. pepi

pepi

Sep 20, 2017
    Anyone have a source for real solder, with lead,, same type used in the 60 - 70s.

Rosin Core Solder preferred,

Greg

2. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
  3. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Most electronic component suppliers stock it. It's not 'illegal' (as some people seem to believe) - it's only manufacturers that have to use lead-free stuff.

4. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    And then ONLY if they want to sell their product to nations in the EU! And maybe California.

Getting the lead out of our environment has already gone to draconian levels of coercion. First paint, and now solder. Can bullets be far behind? Oh, wait, there is already "lead free" ammunition mandated for migratory bird hunting in the United States, and lead-free target loads for use in indoor gun ranges, which are typically not well ventilated. If you buy genuine lead-tin alloy solder, be careful not to ingest any of it. Like mercury (don't ingest that either), lead can cause dementia and death when absorbed by the human body.

5. Robert_fay

Robert_fay

Jun 15, 2017
  6. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    The most prolific lead polluters???? Fishermen. (rod, line etc)

Otherwise it's the usual vested-interest groups forcing policies onto taxpayers and making a mint from it.

7. Rixen

Rixen

Feb 16, 2016
    Second this.

I can definately recommend the multicore leaded solder from here, works a treat.

8. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    If you can get it, the so-called eutectic alloy 63% Sn and 37% Pb, is easier to solder with. It has a very narrow range of temperature, approaching zero, where it is neither liquid nor solid. In other words, the liquidus and solidus states occur at the same temperature with no plastic or slushy state. The eutectic alloy also has the lowest melting point temperature. This physical property helps to prevent "cold" solder joints as other alloy ratios have a "slushy" range of temperatures where the hot solder is in a mixed or plastic state that is not yet solid, but also not liquid. Any movement in the soldered connection while the solder is in the "slushy" state will result in a "cold" solder joint, which is to be avoided at any cost. See this Wikipedia article for more information.

Wireaddict likes this.
  9. OBW0549

OBW0549

Jul 5, 2016
    I've been buying mine from Amazon.com; search on there for "solder 63 37 rosin".

10. pepi

pepi

Sep 20, 2017
    Thanks for the book mark.......!

Greg

11. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I'll start using lead free solder regularly when I can buy a lead free lead acid battery (and I don't mean a surface mount one :D)

12. Rixen

Rixen

Feb 16, 2016
    Thanks for the image of a surface mounted car battery, which just popped up in my head.. :confused:

Ask a Question