Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Reading the Programming on a Chip?

silentblackhat

Jun 18, 2010
Hey guys,

Im wondering if it is possible to read what program is written on a usb computer chip? I ordered a chip off of the net that converts a game controller into USB (so im not sure which type of chip it is, but i know its a one time flash type of chip) and am wondering if there is a way to read the code of the program on the chip. I found out the chip is "PIC16C745 28 pin USB microcontroller"

I'm just interested in seeing how the chip works and how its programmed. I have done re-flashing of some types of firmware where you need to get it into a 'debug' type of mode; is this what needs to be done with an already flashed once-flash chip? I am very new to programmable chips so Im not too sure which information to give out. I hope this is enough information to get started. Thanks for the comments/advice in advance!

Last edited:

blocka

Jul 7, 2010
Well the pic's can have read back protection set so you can read back the contents of the firmware.
And if they don't you can read back the firmware into a hex file, but this is not going to be any use in seeing how the device works, it will just allow you to program other chips.