Connect with us

Re-used Laptop Screen Project

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by jakekusters, Dec 2, 2013.

1. jakekusters

jakekusters

Dec 2, 2013
    Howdy,

My current project is re-using a broken laptops working screen to make a portable display of sorts. As I'm relatively new to the electronics game I'm undecided about putting a battery into this system to make it truly portable or just simply use mains power. Now the screen and controller board is sorted and has been tested. So along with how do you introduce a battery into a system that utilises mains power (12v, 5A power adapter) has anyone had any experience in designing laser cut designs as I'd love to design an enclosure for this.

Cheers

Jake

2. Solidus

Solidus

Jun 19, 2011
    Mains and 12V/5A are two different things - mains is 115/230VAC, the adapter is regulated DC. If the adaptor puts out a DC voltage of 12V and 5A, you would just need to have enough batteries to get 12V or greater and current you feel adequate (check RC shops and sites - the area of high-capacity LiPos has expanded greatly) and establish a regulated supply.

While not the most preferred route or the most efficient, the easiest way is with the 78xx series of regulators (in this case, 7812), a 3-pin package that greatly resembles transistors. You'd have to use a parallelized setup of 3 or 4 as their max Pd is around 1.5-2.2A. You would then run that in to the controller input, probably buffered with capacitors to prevent transient ripple effects from having too much of an effect.

If you mean 'how to power the adapter off batteries', you'd use an inverter run off batteries to step up to mains first and then through the adapter.

As for the laser-cut experience - I don't have any experience with laser-cutting in particular, but I have been working with CNC machining and layouts for quite some time, and in many practices, standard milling and laser cutting are indistinguishable (the process of creating the design and preparing for processing is the same; standard milling and laser cuts produce nearly identical products with accuracy in favor of laser). The only difference being that laser-cutting is more expensive (generally).

What did you have in mind for a design? I can advise or help with that process if you'd like.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
Ask a Question