Maker Pro
Maker Pro

RC filter-uncertain

LazaKamikaza

Mar 22, 2015
I found this configuration in a speaker enclosure, R-are the speakers and the C is just some capacitor. What frequency is what speaker receiving, is it a high pass or a low pass filter, how can I tune the frequency? What if the cap was on the other speaker, what if there were caps on both speakers? Thanks so much!

Attachments

• RC.jpg
    RC.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 54

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
My initial thoughts are that the capacitor will bypass certain frequencies. Maybe the speaker the capacitor is across is a bass speaker or midrange?
Adam

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I found this configuration in a speaker enclosure, R-are the speakers and the C is just some capacitor. What frequency is what speaker receiving, is it a high pass or a low pass filter, how can I tune the frequency? What if the cap was on the other speaker, what if there were caps on both speakers? Thanks so much!
I think it's an awkward setup...
There are two speaker in series and one speaker has a cap across it.
The capacitor may provide a lower resistance path for higher frequencies bypassing one of the speakers, but it would be interesting to see what happens with lower frequencies... considering a speaker is not simply a resistive load, it could very well resonate with the speaker. Additionally, if you have a sub and a mid/tweeter in that setup, ALL speakers are going to get hit hard with bass notes.
Are you sure you drew this right?
Usually a capacitor is used to *block* bass notes to protect or clean the output for a mid-range / tweeter.