Connect with us

RC Circuit from Voltage equation

Discussion in 'Electronics Homework Help' started by Thelair, Mar 2, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Thelair

Thelair

Mar 2, 2013
    Hey there, I've got a little problem with my electronics homework and I can't really find any hints over the internet nor in my notes.
    We were given a table showing time and voltage values and we are to create a proper one-capacitor circuit from it.
    So far I managed to create an equation showing the voltage in given t-time:
    U(t) = 1.84 + 5.765 * e (-t/T)
    Also, during the process, I got few variables which may be useful later:
    T = 2,8s
    U(5T) = 1.84V (5T = 14s)
    Uinput = 10V

So far it was somehow clean math, but the question is how to transform voltage equation into a single-capacitor-single-resistor circuit.
    I don't really want an answer, rather a hint, I really like that "process of creation", but I tried everything I know ( t-to-s domain transformation, time-dependant circuit builds, math ) but I get too many unknowns as I calculate and it goes to nowhere so far.

I hope someone can help me with this one a bit :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  2. Laplace

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
    Compare the given discharge equation to a common RC discharge equation. How does the variable 'T' compare to the RC time constant 'tau'? There are many different values of R and C that will give the required value for 'tau'.

3. Thelair

Thelair

Mar 2, 2013
    T is the time constant, same as tau, just easier to write on the forum :)
    I'm gonna go and look for this common discharge equation, I think I have seen it somewhere, maybe it will be much more useful than I thought.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  4. Thelair

Thelair

Mar 2, 2013
    Ok, so far I noticed that/and why whole excersise is about discharging ( I've drawn the function ). And I've noticed that after being discharged the capacitor leaves 1,84V inside the circuit. I therefor belive that I should start with such circuit:
    [​IMG]
    I did some calculations and the result shown that R1 = 4,434R2.
    Now I think I'll try to fit a capacitor on the line between voltmeter node-clips.
    Am I going the right path?

Ask a Question