Maker Pro
Maker Pro

RC 3 wire battery charging

Lurch180

Aug 16, 2017
Hi, can you please help me sort this battery charging problem.
My grandson has lost the charger for his RC car.
I am a little confused with how to charge it, it has three wires.
It has a Red, Black and a Blue.
It is a QL NI-CD AA 700mAh 9.6V
I am unable to find a charger for it online, in the usual places.

I have put a DVM across the pins and I am getting
9.2V across Red and Black with the Red one being +ve
2.6V across Red and Blue with the Red one being +ve
6.6V across the Blue and Black with the Blue one being +ve

Any advise on buying a charger or how to connect one to the 3 pins will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Lurch

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I assume that this is a 9.2 V pack (red='+', black='-') for the motor with an internal tap on 6.6 V (blue='+', black='-') for the receiver.
Similar to this one only with slightly less capacity?
I'm not aware of any charger that will handle the 6.6. V port separately. It is probably o.k. to charge this battery with any charger suitable for 9.2 V (8 cells) rechargeable NiCd batteries. Use the 9.2 V (red/black) wires for charging. A matching charger is e.g. this one. You will haev to build your own connector and/or adapter to match/mate to the connector on the battery.

Lurch180

Aug 16, 2017
I assume that this is a 9.2 V pack (red='+', black='-') for the motor with an internal tap on 6.6 V (blue='+', black='-') for the receiver.
Similar to this one only with slightly less capacity?
I'm not aware of any charger that will handle the 6.6. V port separately. It is probably o.k. to charge this battery with any charger suitable for 9.2 V (8 cells) rechargeable NiCd batteries. Use the 9.2 V (red/black) wires for charging. A matching charger is e.g. this one. You will haev to build your own connector and/or adapter to match/mate to the connector on the battery.
Thanks for quick reply, I will try to charge it through the red and black leads.
Thanks Harald