Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Raspberry pi with multiple motors.

MuntyScruntfundle

Nov 6, 2017
Hi folks. I'm a bit new to the world of electrical components, although I've been building up my own light/motors circuits today, and although it's taken a while I'm quite surprised with how easy it is, especially with so many pre-built boards available.

Before I go ahead and buy a load of stuff that doesn't work I thought I'd ask here what people would suggest for the idea I have in my head.

Basically a moving vehicle, with 100m range from home, a camera and a beeper, based on a Raspberry pi which I have.
I already have the 433 transmitter and recievers, camera beeper stuff, handy led's and little bits.
I need 4 DC drive motors (which will run in pairs), and 2 stepper motors for the camera, x and z.

The DC motors will be 9 or 12v, the steppers will be 5v I would far sooner power everything from one battery, so I'll need a couple of Bucks(?) to power down for the 5v supply? Will I need to go Lipo to power this many motors? To be honest I don't really understand the difference between standard and lipo rechargeables.

I'd like to build the chasis from lego technic, I have no end of the stuff and it's easy to change things if/as/when needed. But I have modelling kit and can build the additional fittings and bits I may need.

So it's really understanding how to wire up and control all the morots, what's where I'm getting stuck. Also, is there anyone here who has mixed lego and more powerful motors with any success and suggestions?

I hope this makes sense.

Many thanks.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Build each device independantly with the final application in mind. Get each working in it's own right and then combine to build the final unit. Plenty of detail out in google land to assist each unit.