Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ram port burn

ayush soni

Aug 24, 2014
a ram port of my motherboard is not working
there is a minor burn mark

replacing motherboard is very expensive so i was thinking just to replace the ram port
is this possible ???

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Anything is possible if you sink enough time and money into it.
Ask yourself why there is a burn mark?
Even after the work you put into to replace the port, you should easily immediately fry the new port or RAM you insert unless you can determine why it failed.
Is this a special motherboard that is causing it to be so expensive?

ayush soni

Aug 24, 2014
yup if i replace mother board its expensive & i think my little bro inserted ram in wrong side that's y the ram & port get burned & its not a big burn
will send u a pic of it & else there is no problem in motherboard
my bro didnt inserted RAM in proper way what's y it get burned

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
yup if i replace mother board its expensive & i think my little bro inserted ram in wrong side that's y the ram & port get burned & its not a big burn
will send u a pic of it & else there is no problem in motherboard
my bro didnt inserted RAM in proper way what's y it get burned
RAM is usually keyed to prevent it from being inserted (at least fully) in the wrong direction. It would have been very difficult to plug it in backward and secure it with the clips. That is of course assuming that they clips were applied.
The time and effort you will be putting into this may not be worth it. Please keep this in mind on your endeavour. Drawing enough current to cause a burn on the board or connector may have easily caused damage else-where. This damage cannot be easily found and could not show anything immediately, or could present itself as an unstable system when certain tasks are attempted.
Motherboards are multi-layer boards. There are many tracks and traces that you cannot see from the top or bottom, and you cannot trace or troubleshoot them without a great great deal of time and effort.
I am unsure where you are located, but I could buy a new motherboard for the price of buying 8 - 12GB of DDR3 memory. If you botch the repair process you may end up with a completely unresponsive motherboard. In which case the time and money going into the board is lost along with requiring a replacement.
If this is not for a custom fabricated board for some special equipment, I suggest you shop around for some prices for a replacement.
Get your hands on some old discarded computers, and for the sake of learning, get one running, then pull a ram port off and put it back in. If you are not comfortable or successful in doing this with an old discarded computer that shouldn't cost you anything, then there is no way you should touch an iron to your current machine.

I wish you luck, but there is little anyone can do on here aside from point out any other potential damage on the board when we see a picture. Of course, if additional damage is noticed it may be worth even less time to fix. We cannot reach through our screens to solder for you. This will require patients and skill on your part.

Thirantha

Aug 31, 2014
a ram port of my motherboard is not working
there is a minor burn mark

replacing motherboard is very expensive so i was thinking just to replace the ram port
is this possible ???
Use another Ram slot to fix your Ram. There may be two or three Ram slots in your machine.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Use another Ram slot to fix your Ram. There may be two or three Ram slots in your machine.
lol. If you get a flat tire, you get it fixed, you don't rely on the spare.
With an unusable slot, the op is limited to the amount of RAM that can be used in the machine.

As a temporary 'I need something... anything to work' solution, your point is valid.

Thirantha

Aug 31, 2014
lol. If you get a flat tire, you get it fixed, you don't rely on the spare.
With an unusable slot, the op is limited to the amount of RAM that can be used in the machine.

As a temporary 'I need something... anything to work' solution, your point is valid.
Yes. your point is correct. But replacing of Ram slot is a difficult & time consuming task. So something is better than nothing.

Thirantha

Aug 31, 2014
m using the one which is working
want to fix another one
Try to clean the burnt slot and the Ram's gold pins with a contact cleaner like WD-40 and fix your Ram. It will work if it is not a major burn. Do not try to replace the Ram slot if you do not have enough experience on soldering. Then you may ruin the board. If you want to increase the capacity of Ram, you better buy a new Ram with high capacity and fix to the working Ram slot. Rams are cheaper than motherboards.

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It is quite possible that the board is damages or the drivers for the data lines have been damaged.

The fact that the other ram socket works is a good thing. I've binned boards after people have done this. Not worth the risk of further failure

ayush soni

Aug 24, 2014
here are some images
100_2196.JPG

100_2201.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
You wont replace the RAM slot without destroying most of the tracks to the slot pins
Boards like these are multi-layered and its pretty much impossible to remove a couple of pins let alone dozens of pins without destroying the board

accept the fact that unless the slot is repairable without removing it, that slot wont be useable

use the board with the one working slot or trash it

cheers
Dave

ayush soni

Aug 24, 2014
hm..
but i think that a little burn
i dont have any ram to test it now
but what u guyz think
will it work ??

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
As I've said, I'd bin it.

The first thing I'd do i s power it up without any RAM (and anything else valuable removed) just to make sure nothing smokes. If you don't get an indication there is no RAM (assuming the motherboard supports that) it's probably dead.

If you put memory in it, remember that you might kill the RAM. But try it step by step with the minimum of stuff attached. You may be lucky.

ayush soni

Aug 24, 2014
without inserting any ram it is working fine
& dont have any ram to test it

& if i insert any ram
is there is any chance of getting any other damage to my motherboard ???

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
There is a chance you could damage the RAM or the motherboard. I wouldn't worry about damage to the motherboard since this will diagnose it as a total loss. Use cheap memory :)