Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ralink 3070L adapter not responding.

Stteffann

Nov 17, 2015
1.jpg 2.jpg Hello, I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I have a wifi antenna (Kasens N9600 I think), it has a Ralink 3070L inside it (or something similar, I needed a magnifying glass to read it), and it used to work normally until it simply stopped working, like it was disconnected from my PC, and since then, only the LED on it glows and nothing happens, as if no device is in the USB port. I tried to turn it on with different cables on different devices, laptops and desktops, different OSs (W7/8 and 10). Nothing. Just LED glowing and that's it. Here's what it looks like:

Is this a software problem or should I just throw the antenna away?

Last edited:

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
View attachment 23221 View attachment 23222 Hello, I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I have a wifi antenna (Kasens N9600 I think), it has a Ralink 3070L inside it (or something similar, I needed a magnifying glass to read it), and it used to work normally until it simply stopped working, like it was disconnected from my PC, and since then, only the LED on it glows and nothing happens, as if no device is in the USB port. I tried to turn it on with different cables on different devices, laptops and desktops, different OSs (W7/8 and 10). Nothing. Just LED glowing and that's it. Here's what it looks like:

Is this a software problem or should I just throw the antenna away?

It could be a driver problem,try to reinstall the driver.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
How expensive is the antenna. I'd try to buy a replacement or borrow one to test from someone else. At least then you'd know if the antenna circuit is damaged, or if you've got a PC USB problem.

Stteffann

Nov 17, 2015
About 30 USD. I did
How expensive is the antenna. I'd try to buy a replacement or borrow one to test from someone else. At least then you'd know if the antenna circuit is damaged, or if you've got a PC USB problem.
Bought a replacement already. It works fine on the same USB port.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
OK. If you're asking for my input now, I vote for a damaged original antenna.
Up to you if you want to save the original non-working unit for spare parts.
It'll cost you too much to identify the failure and try to fix it.
Glad you're up and running now.

Stteffann

Nov 17, 2015
OK. If you're asking for my input now, I vote for a damaged original antenna.
Up to you if you want to save the original non-working unit for spare parts.
It'll cost you too much to identify the failure and try to fix it.
Glad you're up and running now.

I have no idea which parts could be used. Could I rewire the "scanning" part of the antenna and then solder it to a different Ralink card? Would that work? I have no experience in this...

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
No one here has any idea which parts can be used either, because we don't know what part or parts stopped working. Somebody that knows what to do with test and measurement electronic instruments can probably identify the problem. The odds are that the broken antenna will never be used again, but to somebody like me who repairs electronic things, yes, it just might be possible to fix it, or to find another one like it and make one good unit out of a
couple of bad ones by swapping parts. It might be possible, but you cannot reasonably expect to just solder the unit to a different Ralink card without knowing what the original failure is. That might work and it might not.
Do you know anybody near you who troubleshoots and repairs equipment like the one you have? It takes somebody with experience to fix failures like yours.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
We can't help you with this because somebody has to physically check it with the proper test and measurement gear.
Most people don't know how to do this either. They just throw-away and replace broken electronic equipment.
Give some thought to learning more about electronics, people here can help, and you'll find it very useful in maintaining electronic equipment for yourself and others.
If you have no present hobby, electronic troubleshooting and repair can be a rewarding one.
Just a thought.