Connect with us

Raising the current to a circuit without switches

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by StrawberryBro, Mar 20, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. StrawberryBro

StrawberryBro

Mar 15, 2013
    Hi :) , I am new to electronics and was conducting an experiment, I'm learning, I pose the following case:

Suppose we have a normal circuit, where an LED is powered by a source of 1V, we do not know the polarity of the source, and we want to raise the supply current of 1V to 20V without using switches and without removing the source of 1V .

What could be done?, This is a diagram I did, on the left there is the circuit without modification, and to the right, is a reference about how it should be.

[​IMG]

Thanks

2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    As a theoretical question: Yes, put a bridge rectifier on both of the voltage sources and connect together the two + outputs and two - outputs. You can now plug in either or both voltage sources with either polarity. The larger one wins.

However, if you really are dealing with 1V (which will not drive any LED I know of) then it won't work very well, since the two diodes will drop more than 1V than that across the bridge.

Bob

3. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    And why would you want to put 20V across a couple of LED's ??
    their life span is going to be measured in milliseconds

what is it that you are really trying to achieve ?
    time for all the information:)

Dave

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    And 20V is voltage, not current.

Ask a Question