Maker Pro

(Radio Waves) Which Is Better...

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
To Send a Signal using

High Voltage emitters
or
Low voltage high amperage?..

For example, 2 transceivers, they both have 3watt transmitting power... except.

A. the first transmitter transmits after it's stepped up the voltage and injected the carrier/station...

B. the second transmitter, this time it uses 1amp at 3 volts of a lithium battery.

Since they are both 3 watts of power, what are the differences when listening to that radio station a feet away?... is there any? which is better?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Rleo6965, amplification can be voltage, current, or power. So it is incorrect to say that only A was amplified.

Which signal I prefer depends on how well I can couple the output to an antenna and how efficient the antenna is at radiating the signal.

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
To Send a Signal using

Since they are both 3 watts of power, what are the differences when listening to that radio station a feet away?... is there any? which is better?

I'm referring to this.

It's just like an announcer talking loud on 3 watt transmitter and another announcer whispering on 3 watt transmitter.

Or maybe . I don't fully understand cjdelhi's question.:D

Last edited:

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
Person B, listening to the Audio Quality AM(eg, interference level, how clean) ... which (if no objects direct line of sight) .... gives the better signal quality? or are they identical, eg does a higher voltage some how stop certain interference?. or is there absolutely no benefit to radiating high voltage through an antenna over lower voltage higher current?.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
3W is a lot of radio frequency power. You are looking at a range of kilometres not feet.
It does not matter how the power is generated if it is fed efficiently to the aerial.

The voltage and current supplied to the aerial will depend on the aerial impedance, you could have high voltage and low current or vice versa.

Radio waves can get around obstacles if they are smaller than the wavelength so only VHF/UHF signals will be severely affected over short distances.

RonJay

Feb 13, 2012
Hi All,
I agree with Duke. The impedance match and how well that power is transferred are the most important factors. The advantages of having higher voltage is you will waste less power through heat loss of the transmitter.
Peace,
Ron