Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Radar Detector Tester

OffTheRadar

Sep 21, 2011
I have a background in software development, but am very new to the world of electronics. I've read a couple of "getting started" type books and have put together a few kit projects, but now I think i'm ready to increase the level of difficulty a little :)

I would like to build a device that transmits on the same frequencies as police radar guns, to be used to test my radar detector. My (currently) imaginary device would have a display and two buttons. One button would cycle through display options (X-band, K-band, Ka-band 1, Ka-band 2, Ka-band 3, Ku-band). The other button would transmit a signal on a frequency corresponding to the band selected. The frequencies are 10.5 GHz, 24.15 GHz, 33.8 GHz, 34.7 GHz, 35.5 GHz, and 13.45 GHz respectively.

I would appreciate it if someone could get me pointed in the right direction as far as components that I may need, and links related to RF transmissions that would help get me started? Also, any advice would be appreciated. Am I in over my head for a first "real" project?

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Radar project

Hi OffTheRadar.
Thats a few frequency's, high as well, i play about with radio gear, a circuit to cover all that range is probably a task, not necessarily over your head, there is only really a handful of ways to start your own projects, be it your own design, or build from an existing schematic.

First is plain perforated boards used for point to point wiring, ok for small or not to detailed projects, then copper strip, some use the word veroboard for this, its what i use at the present time, although quit complex circuits can be built on it, there are limitations on space and tracks, mainly breaking tracks in places and adding wire links in others.

Then you can buy copper clad boards for pcb production, this last option is the more expensive and time consuming, but the finished circuit produces the best pro results, it can be done in a modest way, several techniques exist.

If it was me, and as you have done some kit building, i would be inclined to have a go at building on a prototype board first, then try copper strip, but try to find an interim project first, really just to get the feel for laying circuits out, and building from drawings / schematics.

But if you have your sites set on your project goal, from your above detail it can be done, but its not strait forward for a novice to tackle a project of that scale, i see this from what you want the finished circuit to do, and the frequency you plan on putting out.

Other members might have differing ideas and opinions , but i would put some self builds under your belt first.
Dave. :)

OffTheRadar

Sep 21, 2011
Dave,

Thanks for the reply! I was actually hoping to get something working on a breadboard. Is that out of the question for this project? I'm sure there is going to be a lot of trial and error involved to get something working, and anything more permanent scares me a little at this stage :)

I think I can handle the display and getting the buttons to work like I need them. My biggest question right now is how to transmit over a frequency. What components do I need to make this work? Can you point me to a schematic that uses a similar frequency?

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Radar

The best i could come up with would be a hobby electronics site, there are some transmitter circuits in there, but not up to the caliber your after.
Bread boarding such a circuit still would be tricky, i dont know how far you could get on a BB, i will post the project site any way, as i think there is a lot of good topics in there, and have admired this guy for some time.
Dave. :)
PS, link below.

http://www.sentex.ca/~mec1995/circ/circuits.htm

There are some miniature transmitters bottom of the first column. :)