Connect with us

Rack/Cabinet Hardware

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by Radra, Jul 18, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Radra

    Radra Guest

    I am working with some 20 year old HP 19 inch equipment racks (HP
    29402 B/C) into which I will be installing some test equipment.
    Would like to find a source for the special spring-loaded nuts used
    to attach the horizontal angle brackets which support the equipment.

    These nuts are designed to fit into one of four channels (or slots)
    which run vertically the entire height of the rack (one channel in
    each corner of the rack). Haven't used these types of nuts in years
    but recall they used to be quite common.

    Will attempt to describe them. Draw a rhombus approximately 0.7 by
    0.4 inches. This rhombus is made of metal and extends into the paper
    about 0.15 inches. Next draw a hole in the center of the rhombus
    which is tapped to fit a 1/4x20 screw. Lastly draw a coil spring
    slightly larger in diameter than the hole and which has one end
    welded to the face of the rhombus and extends vertically out from the
    paper about 0.5 inch. This spring is centerd on the hole.

    The channel opening is only slightly larger than 0.4 inches but its
    interior widens to about 0.7 inches. These nuts are inserted into the
    slots along their narrow dimension (0.4 inch) and then twisted 90
    degrees so the lip of the channel prevents then from being pulled out.
    The sping holds them in place while the bracket screws are being
    screwed into them.

  2. Dave M

    Dave M Guest

    McMaster-Carr has one of the most complete lines of hardware on the web, and
    their web catalog is easily searched. Go to and search
    for Cage Nuts or Clip Nuts. They have them in many shapes and sizes.


    Dave M

    Never take a laxative and a sleeping pill at the same time!!
  3. Radra

    Radra Guest

    Wayne, thanks for the Unistrut tip. I have contacted them and they
    will be shipping some samples to me. Have also discovered other
    possible manufacturers/suppliers of spring nuts such as Haydon,
    Cantruss, Hammond, and Tessco.

    Regarding McMaster-Carr, I was unable to view their online catalog
    because it requires a Java-enabled web browser. That is a no-no around

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day