Connect with us

Race timer

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Bethw, Jan 6, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Bethw

Bethw

Jan 6, 2013
    So here's what I have: A model car that passes a start line, proceedes down a track, crosses a finish line. I need to know how long it took from start to finish. The project would start a timer (1/100 sec at least) and count to at most 10 minutes. I'm thinking of using photo trans for the recievers and I thought of using those small laser levels for the xmtr side, they would be on all the time anyway and since the distance from xmtr to receiver is around 50", it would cover the distance fine. then I need a way to get the time out so everyone can see. I'm thinking some sort of large display 1" or better. (it's a large group) and a driver to do it. there are a ton of lap timers out there, but that's not what I need, unless we could figure out some way of duplicating the inputs from both ends, one start, one stop, simulating a "lap". any ideas?

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Combining 2 inputs to make them look like duplicate passes of 1 input is fairly trivial.

Find a lap timer you like, show us the schematic, and we'll see what we can do for you.

3. Bethw

Bethw

Jan 6, 2013
    So I'm thinking of using 2 pair of garage door opener sensors, since they aren't that expensive and they will cover the distance. But the 'oscillator' issue in the receiver would have to be addressed. I wonder if i could redo the reciever part so that it could be interfaced into the timer?

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    OK, garage door sensors (whatever they are).

Now go and look for a lap timer that you like (other than the sensor arrangement)

Ask a Question